Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Betty's on King St is Closing

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We went last night. The tap list is quite small now. Betty's Lager, Carlsberg, Asahi, Genius Stout and Wellington Upstart IPA are on tap. No food service though they have a sign saying to bring in your own food.
lister

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

For the modern buildings that harbour a good beer bar, GLB was mentioned and I agree, but also Craft, Beertown, the beer bar in First Canadian Place, the one down the street from it on Bay - all fine beer choices. Ambience will differ from the old low-rise blocks but that's progress - at least excellent beer is there.

But lots of the older cozy style are still here: the Bar Hops, Mascot, Loose Moose (maybe too big for some, but in a basement, on a historic old block), C'est What, that English pub in or near Yorkville, Cloak & Dagger on College...

Wvrst kind of offers both experiences, the original place and bar in revamped Union Station.

Also some good places in or near Cabbagetown.
Gary Gillman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

G.M. Gillman wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:32 am Ambience will differ from the old low-rise blocks but that's progress
I would dispute that a bit. The only real progress I see in the newer places is that you don't have to go into the basement for the washrooms. To me, most of the new places are just plain too loud. It's not a factor of being new, but a factor of prioritizing trendy decor over acoustic mitigation. That and the apparent fear of a conversation breaking out so they crank the music. It must be these anxious kids these days...

As to your list of old school, I would add. Rhino, Victory (not quite the same as the original) Crafty Coyote, The Only, and if you are uptown, Belsize Public House.

I'm sure we've collectively missed many more.

*Edit* also, both Rhino and Belsize have excellent patios! those need to be treasured.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It depends what you look for. I am primarily interested in beer - for example, Beertown has Mountain Lager and I can have one at the bar, patio in good weather, and am very happy. Not all old school is cozy type, Granite never was really, not sure C'est What is either. Depends what you want.
Gary Gillman

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think what saddens me is that the new corporate-y places that open (Craft, Beertown, etc.) are nothing like the places that close. Personally it's not just about the beer. So one type of place is dwindling while the corporate craft bar and brewery taproom style places are emerging. I suppose that's a sign of changing times so we can enjoy the old school places while we can. I still enjoy going to places like Sneaky Dee's (even thought it's not a beer bar by any stretch) as it's about as old school as it gets.

I have a love/hate relationship with Craft. I do go due to its convenient location and big beer selection. But the beer quality is highly variable (they have too many taps) and it does have a weird ambience. It's very dark for a place at street level with a ton of windows.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I just hope that the big corporate places draw more interest to good beer in general, because people will go there just because of location and size and whatnot. If they convert more people, that can drive more business to other places too. Both models seem to coexist fine in lots of places so I think it'll work out in the end.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Craig wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:02 pm I just hope that the big corporate places draw more interest to good beer in general
Seeing first hand the popularity of Beertown in Oakville, I certainly think a place like this is helping to bring more people to craft beer who otherwise may not know much about the scene. There are still a number of guys who come in asking for Stella, but lots and lots of people who may not fit the classic mold of a craft beer drinker are enjoying sampler trays and other unique beers, which is great to see.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

All good discussion and I take the further points made. I do think the cozy intimate bar including those focused on beer will continue to exist, not as many perhaps as before, but a certain number will stay. Also, more bar owners in the future, seeing the non-replacement factor Cass noted, may seek to transform a sterile modern environment into something reminiscent of the older bar. Bar Volo has kind of done that, once inside the place has a friendly intimate feel with its shadows, corners (like Ralph's seat where he talks to people at the bar), and the separate room behind. The Moranas built that from a vision in a concrete bunker really, it's amazing what they did. But it's true the modern-better lit-glossy will tend to replace the older well-worn small scale, because this is happening to Toronto in general, it's how the old blocks are being cleared and re-developed.

One saving grace though is the cozy ofd beer bar is not that venerable! Before that you had sterile beverage rooms with a few beers that tasted the same. Cozy places like Betty's were set up in the post-beverage room era (from mid-1970s), taking inspiration from American and European beer taverns and bars, English pub especially.

An early example was Ben Wicks in Cabbagetown, and the first Duke pubs.
Gary Gillman