Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Do you ask for a ‘pint’ anymore?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Do you ask for a ‘pint’ anymore?

Post by Cass »

Maybe it’s just me, but I no longer ask for ‘a pint of’ beer when I speak to bartenders, knowing full well that actual pints (for the most part) aren’t served anymore. Maybe I’m becoming a weird beer crank.

Who still asks for a ‘pint’? Or do you use ‘pint’ as shorthand, which is usually how I hear it being used nowadays. Does any bartender correct patrons? I can’t recall anyone doing that recently.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I do, but sadly with very low expectations of actually getting one.

Not long ago I ordered a pint at The Only and at least, the bartender was decent enough to explain they only offered that beer in 12oz.

Remember when ordering a half pint cost almost as much as a pint? Something, something cost of service and washing...

Beer and math just seem incompatible.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I usually just ask for the beer name and modify that for any smaller size than whatever the posted "full" serving size that beer is.

"Pint" usually comes into play when I start bouncing around between sizes and the bartender asks if I want a "pint" or a "half."
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Tapsucker wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:21 pm I do, but sadly with very low expectations of actually getting one.

Not long ago I ordered a pint at The Only and at least, the bartender was decent enough to explain they only offered that beer in 12oz.

Remember when ordering a half pint cost almost as much as a pint? Something, something cost of service and washing...

Beer and math just seem incompatible.

In my 26 or so years of beer drinking, the price for a full serving has doubled. Not bad overall considering the time span. Though size shrinkflation has occurred muddying that a bit. And to be fair, a lot of the beers now have far more (including expensive) ingredients in them now compared to then.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:09 pm Maybe it’s just me, but I no longer ask for ‘a pint of’ beer when I speak to bartenders, knowing full well that actual pints (for the most part) aren’t served anymore. Maybe I’m becoming a weird beer crank.

Who still asks for a ‘pint’? Or do you use ‘pint’ as shorthand, which is usually how I hear it being used nowadays. Does any bartender correct patrons? I can’t recall anyone doing that recently.
Is this why they make fun of us on podcasts now? :P

I ask for the beer by name. It never really crosses my mind whether I'm getting a real pint measure or not

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

I ask for a pint, taking it to mean a large glass whatever size that might be - force of habit.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

BigBob wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:47 am I ask for a pint, taking it to mean a large glass whatever size that might be - force of habit.
Same here, basically. It feels old-fashioned, like paying for the TTC with a "token."

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I suspect I'm older than many on this forum, but despite that, asking for a "pint" was never a thing for me. I just asked for the beer I want by name. Perhaps I just didn't go to bars as much as some of you.

As for this....
Cass wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:09 pm Maybe I’m becoming a weird beer crank.
...are you asking for a vote or something? :D

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

shintriad wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:15 pm
BigBob wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:47 am I ask for a pint, taking it to mean a large glass whatever size that might be - force of habit.
Same here, basically. It feels old-fashioned, like paying for the TTC with a "token."
I paid a cash fare this past weekend, I wasn't sure if they still accepted it at first lol

As far as asking for a drink, I usually just ask for the specific size since most bars/breweries have it listed. i.e. 16 oz of X. Occasionally I'll still ask for a pint when I order a Guinness, but at least it's typically still offered in a true pint glass.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Speaking of cash… I was in London, UK two weeks ago… nearly every pub I went to was cashless / card only… I spent a week in London and never handled the local currency! But they were serving full pints!