Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Sold

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Black Oak Sold

Post by Chris »

Just leaving this here. I’m happy it wasn’t one of the big guys, but I hope Ken got a good deal!!

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/busin ... mpany.html

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Thanks for sharing this. I haven't bought much black oak lately, but always enjoyed the release of their nutcracker porter, and their 10 bitter years was amazing at the time it first came out. Hope Ken finds success in this new chapter.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I am pretty surprised by this on several levels. I am surprised to see Black Oak sell (but also not - Ken has been working hard for a long time!) but also kind of surprised Silversmith is in a position to be buying. Given the other sales and partnerships we have seen lately, this would on the surface seem to benefit both breweries. I guess we shall see!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Time flies. I wouldn't have guessed that Silversmith was already 10 years old.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'm hoping this pans out as Black Oak has some core beers I really enjoy, but can't always find due to uneven distribution. I'd love to see their Nox Aeterna available in the LCBO, or even Nut Brown more widespread. Styles come and go, but Black Oak has always been an ol' reliable, making pretty much the only regularly available nut brown these days.

Silversmith is solid too, that black lager is another go-to for me, but again, I can't always find it out my way.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I agree… I love Nut brown if it is fresh… but availability and freshness varies substantially!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I don't know much about Silversmith, but I hope they had a really big truck full of cash to drive up to Ken's door. He, IMHO is one of the more upstanding people in the industry and deserves a happy retirement. Even if he continues to tinker.
I still recall seeing him back in the day late at night at the Bow & Arrow cleaning his own lines; quality commitment! That's not the kind of person that completely walks away.

I guess I should stop my snark about all the accountants becoming craft brewers. :oops:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ken has been a survivor in this industry, but also an innovator. For those who remember, when Ten Bitter Years came out caused quite a stir amongst the beer nerds. And it can be argued that Ken did the first barrel-aged beer in Ontario, pouring at one (if not the first) Cask Days at Volo.

I hope Ken made it out ok after all the work he's put into Black Oak over the decades!