Something in the Water

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BartOwl

Something in the Water

Post by BartOwl »

I went to this brewery (the one in Liberty Village Toronto), last night. Their oatmeal stout was fantastic. It was an English variety, so I enjoyed the hops and the character-full taste and aroma due to the English ale yeast strain. I also had one of their NE IPAs, which was well made. Their gingerbread stout had a strong ginger taste, and was overall good, but could use some more hops or ester complexity. Overall, this is a great addition to Liberty Village, and I will be back in the future. It's a bit small, but they reserved a table for us, when I called ahead of time. They serve sandwiches too, but its not a full kitchen. The Cali sandwich I had was quite tasty too.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the info! I remember it opening but don't find myself in Liberty Village much nowadays. Will have to go and check it out!

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I got their Outro ESB to go. I got the last two, and I think it is seasonal, so I am not sure if there is more. However, it too was very good. It had plenty of malty complexity and plenty of hop flavour. It was better than some others I have had in the province.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

seangm wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:47 am See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.
the lcbo chooses what to carry, so the beers you want not being at the lcbo is an lcbo problem not a brewery problem

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

seangm wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:47 am See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.
As mentioned in the original post, I tried their Cali sandwich, and it was quite good. Others there liked their sandwiches too. It's not a big meal though. I agree that the oatmeal stout and the ESB were more enjoyable than the lime lager and the hazy IPA.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

They also purchased Stone City in Kingston and rebranded it.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BartOwl wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm
As mentioned in the original post, I tried their Cali sandwich, and it was quite good. Others there liked their sandwiches too. It's not a big meal though. I agree that the oatmeal stout and the ESB were more enjoyable than the lime lager and the hazy IPA.
Wow, I must've been tired yesterday. Indeed it's right there that you tried the food! My bad lol