Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Prenup Pub - College St.

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Prenup Pub - College St.

Post by Cass »

I don’t think there’s ever been a dedicated thread about this place, but it’s been mentioned a few times here and there. Stopped in today for what is probably the first time, I can’t remember if I’ve ever been. Across the street from UofT (where I went to school) but also can’t remember if/what it was back in those days.

Anyway, it’s a comfortable place with separated bar & restaurant sections (and an almost mirror image 2nd floor space), definitely an old school bar-y kind of feel so it must have been different places over the years. Lots of Euro beer decor all over.

Kind of a throwback to beer bars of the pre-craft revolution - they have a ton of stuff on tap, and pretty much all Euro imports. Feels like they have every premium import draught beer that’s available in Ontario - Chouffe, Rodenbach, Duchesse, Weihenstephaner, Braufactum, Deschutes, Czechvar, Delirium, Lindemans + bottles - the list goes on. Well over 60 beers on tap.

This is one of a mini chain that includes Sin & Redemption, Village Genius (no longer Idiot) & Town Crier. From a quick look at their websites the beer lists are consistent, but the food menus different. There’s a Belgian focus to Prenup, even having beef carbonnade on the menu, a rarity in Toronto. (Didn’t have any food.)

All in all a fine experience, and amusing for its retro beer feel. If you’re looking for a place with lots of beers but hazy IPA and other trendy stuff is nowhere to be found, this is for you.

Draught list: https://www.prenuppub.com/draft-beers
Attachments
0D6F9C43-7FEE-4A9D-9B53-F4D69CB79F70.jpeg
91D072DB-F449-477B-A7F4-BFF70107FFEC.jpeg
587CCF34-2295-44C8-9187-F082826C89BA.jpeg

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass, did you not learn from the "France" thread?

Turn your camera 90 degrees. :D

Sounds like a cool place. I don't come into the city much, but I'll have to keep it in mind.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I've had some great food at Sin and Redemption. Like you, I have not had food at Prenup, but I have met with folks there a few times for a beer. Somehow, it just didn't feel like the place for me. I can't put my finger on it. I think it might have been that Einstein was still operating down the road and had more local craft options at great prices and maybe Einstein's diviness (izzat a word?) appealed to me more.

I do like that the trio of operations they have are pretty committed to their thing. I mean, I guess Firkins and Gabby's are committed to their thing too, but gawd... 🤮
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:01 pm I think it might have been that Einstein was still operating down the road and had more local craft options at great prices and maybe Einstein's diviness (izzat a word?) appealed to me more.
Man, I remember downing many a pitcher at Einstein back in my UofT days. I kind of wish I went back one last time before it closed up.