Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

For Fun: ChatGPT Throwdown!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

For Fun: ChatGPT Throwdown!

Post by Cass »

Q: “What are the best breweries in Toronto?”

Toronto has a vibrant craft beer scene with many great breweries to choose from. Here are some of the best breweries in Toronto:

Bellwoods Brewery - Bellwoods is known for their wide range of beer styles, including their award-winning sour beers. They have two locations in Toronto: the original brewpub on Ossington Avenue and a larger production facility and taproom in North York.

Left Field Brewery - This brewery is located in the east end of Toronto and is known for their approachable, well-crafted beers. They have a variety of year-round and seasonal offerings, including their popular Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale.

Great Lakes Brewery - Great Lakes is one of the oldest and most well-respected breweries in Toronto. They have a wide range of beers, including their flagship Canuck Pale Ale and their seasonal Pumpkin Ale.

Henderson Brewing Company - Henderson is a community-focused brewery located in Toronto's west end. They specialize in traditional British-style ales, but also experiment with unique flavors and ingredients.

Blood Brothers Brewing - This brewery is located in Toronto's Junction neighborhood and is known for their experimental, boundary-pushing beers. They have a range of year-round and seasonal offerings, including their popular Paradise Lost sour beer.

These are just a few of the many great breweries in Toronto. There are many more worth checking out, including Steam Whistle Brewing, Indie Alehouse, and Godspeed Brewery.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

“What are the best breweries in Ontario?”

Ontario has a thriving craft beer scene, with many excellent breweries located throughout the province. Here are some of the best breweries in Ontario:

Bellwoods Brewery - Toronto
Burdock Brewery - Toronto
Left Field Brewery - Toronto
Blood Brothers Brewing - Toronto
Nickel Brook Brewing Co. - Burlington
Collective Arts Brewing - Hamilton
Beau's All Natural Brewing Company - Vankleek Hill
Muskoka Brewery - Bracebridge
Sawdust City Brewing Co. - Gravenhurst
Wellington Brewery - Guelph

These breweries are known for producing high-quality, innovative beers that are often made with locally sourced ingredients. Many of them also have great taprooms and restaurants, making them excellent destinations for beer lovers. However, this is not an exhaustive list, and there are many other great breweries to discover throughout Ontario.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

"What is the Bar Towel?"

The Bar Towel is a website that was founded in 2001 and is dedicated to promoting and celebrating the Ontario craft beer scene. The website features news and reviews of Ontario craft beer, as well as a comprehensive directory of breweries, bars, and restaurants that serve craft beer throughout the province.

The Bar Towel also serves as a community hub for Ontario craft beer enthusiasts, with a busy forum where members can discuss beer, share recommendations, and connect with others who share their passion for craft beer. The website also hosts and promotes events and festivals throughout the year, such as beer tastings and brewery tours.

Overall, The Bar Towel is a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in learning more about Ontario's vibrant craft beer scene, or who is looking for recommendations on the best places to enjoy craft beer in the province.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BartOwl wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:01 pm "What is the Bar Towel?"

The Bar Towel is a website that was founded in 2001 and is dedicated to promoting and celebrating the Ontario craft beer scene. The website features news and reviews of Ontario craft beer, as well as a comprehensive directory of breweries, bars, and restaurants that serve craft beer throughout the province.

The Bar Towel also serves as a community hub for Ontario craft beer enthusiasts, with a busy forum where members can discuss beer, share recommendations, and connect with others who share their passion for craft beer. The website also hosts and promotes events and festivals throughout the year, such as beer tastings and brewery tours.

Overall, The Bar Towel is a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in learning more about Ontario's vibrant craft beer scene, or who is looking for recommendations on the best places to enjoy craft beer in the province.
I'm ok with this AI description!

Not sure about it being a 'busy' forum anymore, but I have downloaded all the registered users and am planning on encouraging everyone back if they are disillusioned with social media. Apologies in advance for everyone who has stuck with us who gets and email about it :)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

What is the Bar Towel?
The Bar Towel is a website that was established in 2004 as an online community for craft beer enthusiasts in Toronto, Canada. The website was created by Cass Enright, who is a beer writer and expert.

The Bar Towel provides information and news about the Toronto craft beer scene, as well as reviews and ratings of different beers. The website also includes a forum where members can discuss beer-related topics, events, and other related topics. Over the years, the Bar Towel has become a popular online destination for beer lovers in Toronto and beyond.

In addition to the website, the Bar Towel also hosts various beer events and festivals throughout the year, such as the Ontario Cask IPA Challenge, which brings together local breweries to compete in a friendly competition. The Bar Towel is dedicated to promoting and celebrating craft beer culture and supporting the local beer community.
Interesting how the answers differ for the same question!

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I used https://chat.openai.com/chat

I don't have a Windows computer, so I can't try it on Edge. Maybe that is the difference.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BartOwl wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:56 pm I used https://chat.openai.com/chat
I used the same url, on Mac Safari.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Hmmm... got a different answer, when using the same website, when I asked the same question again. It was similar though.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Hey oh! Who am I?
Cass Enright is a Canadian beer writer and the founder of The Bar Towel, an online community dedicated to craft beer in Ontario. Enright launched the website in 2002, with the goal of providing a platform for beer enthusiasts to share information, discuss beer trends, and connect with one another. The Bar Towel quickly became a popular destination for beer lovers in Ontario, and it has since expanded to cover the entire country.

In addition to his work with The Bar Towel, Enright is a prominent figure in the Canadian craft beer scene. He has written about beer for numerous publications, including The Globe and Mail and TAPS magazine, and has served as a judge at several beer competitions. Enright has also been involved in organizing beer festivals and events in Ontario, including the Toronto Festival of Beer and the Ontario Craft Beer Week.

Enright is known for his passion for craft beer and his dedication to promoting the industry in Canada. He has been a vocal advocate for independent breweries and has worked to educate consumers about the importance of supporting local and artisanal products. Through his writing and community involvement, Enright has played a significant role in shaping the Canadian craft beer landscape and has helped to raise the profile of the industry both at home and abroad.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Microsoft Edge has it integrated into the browser. I guess it is using the same database/engine, but was unsure before.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's curious that the thing it keeps mixing up is the year the site launched. Like that's a hard number, you'd think a computer would be consistent on that.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Here is something different.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6755943

That's a disgusting amount of lactose. Any amount is, for that matter. I guess algorithms don't get sick...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:48 am Here is something different.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6755943

That's a disgusting amount of lactose. Any amount is, for that matter. I guess algorithms don't get sick...
I tried it last week and was going to say it wasn't that much lactose but I just checked my notes and it was notably sweet in the flavour and I commented on the lactose in the aroma (but I knew it was there so might have been biased). It had some nice sweet citrus and some green hops in the finish. Pretty standard sweet leaning hazy. I gave it a 3.5-3.6/5

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

BartOwl wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:04 pm Hmmm... got a different answer, when using the same website, when I asked the same question again. It was similar though.
My buddy, who is a Prof of this stuff, says if you ask the same question twice, the second time it will seek to improve on the first answer. That is to say, don't expect answers to the same Q to be identical, because they will not. Has nothing to do with your browser or O/S.