Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Ritual - Supposedly Closed

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

New Ritual - Supposedly Closed

Post by Cass »

Newish brewery, no mentions in the forum previously that I could find. I think I saw them on tap a couple of times at my local Beertown.
OSHAWA, ON – Less than two years after opening in Ontario’s Durham Region, New Ritual Brewing has reportedly closed for business.

New Ritual was launched in May 2021 by two couples – Jim and Molly Gorry, and Tim Ferriman and Melanie Martins – and mainly specialized in IPAs and Pale Ales, with occasional diversions to other styles.

While there has been no official announcement regarding the closure, a social media post in January stated that the taproom was closed “temporarily”, which was followed by the disappearance of the New Ritual website and Instagram page, as well as an update to the brewery’s Google listing to indicate that it is “permanently closed”. The brewery’s Facebook page remains online at time of writing, but hasn’t had any updates posted since December.

If any further details about the closure become available, this article will be updated accordingly.
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/0 ... wa-ontario

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Cass wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:13 pm Newish brewery, no mentions in the forum previously that I could find. I think I saw them on tap a couple of times at my local Beertown.
OSHAWA, ON – Less than two years after opening in Ontario’s Durham Region, New Ritual Brewing has reportedly closed for business.

New Ritual was launched in May 2021 by two couples – Jim and Molly Gorry, and Tim Ferriman and Melanie Martins – and mainly specialized in IPAs and Pale Ales, with occasional diversions to other styles.

While there has been no official announcement regarding the closure, a social media post in January stated that the taproom was closed “temporarily”, which was followed by the disappearance of the New Ritual website and Instagram page, as well as an update to the brewery’s Google listing to indicate that it is “permanently closed”. The brewery’s Facebook page remains online at time of writing, but hasn’t had any updates posted since December.

If any further details about the closure become available, this article will be updated accordingly.
https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/0 ... wa-ontario
last release on untappd was dec 22/22. Brewer was last before that at Town I believe
Reliable Beer Critic

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

They probably just moved to TikTok. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I wonder what the record is for shortest-lived brewery in Ontario is?

I feel for them. Going through all the work to set up a brewery, then trying to open right in COVID. Brutal.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

They might as well use the same copy for Reverence Barrel Works in Cambridge: social media post saying it was "temporarily closed" for January with no updates since, google listing stating it's "permanently closed", plus I talked to a local brewer who picked up barrels from the brewery recently. She gone...
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Now it's being reported that New Ritual was actually sold and is going to reopen under a new name (Lightcaster). Not sure why someone would want to get into the brewing biz right now...

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Despite living in Oshawa I only had their beers a few times, perhaps I should've visited more. They were generally above average, some being quite good. The location really isn't that great though, so I wonder how Lightcaster will fare. It's a shame no one can get something to work downtown, that area could desperately use some rejuvenation.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Craig wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:47 pm I wonder what the record is for shortest-lived brewery in Ontario is?
Pretty sure there are a few that never actually made it to opening. I've been aiming to try every brewery in Ontario so have been watching Jordan's brewery list, Canadian Brewing News and other places and monitoring them and there have been a few where they make it to the list then never actually appear. I imagine lots of different versions of why not.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Yeah, that's not surprising. I'm sure there are dozens of breweries that were announced and never got off the ground. What was that one we kept making fun of way back when? I vaguely recall them being around High Park or Roncesvalles or something, but I can't find the thread.

What I'm really wondering is what the record for shortest time with doors open is.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Craig wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:55 am What was that one we kept making fun of way back when? I vaguely recall them being around High Park or Roncesvalles or something, but I can't find the thread.
http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8913