Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pine

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

markhenry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:31 pm More thanks to y'all. Interesting that the Fat Tug description on the Driftwood web site does not mention pine:

Brewed with the hop aficionado in mind, Fat Tug is a Northwest-style India Pale Ale with an intense hop profile featuring notes of grapefruit, mango, melon and passionfruit. Sufficient malt is there to provide support. At 7% alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers on the promise to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!
Hmmm... Individual perception I guess. Or maybe, marketing is afraid to use the term for fear of turning off customers who would not know how to expect that? Not too many people have experienced eating a pine cone, but most have had those fruits. :wink:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

markhenry wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:31 pm More thanks to y'all. Interesting that the Fat Tug description on the Driftwood web site does not mention pine:

Brewed with the hop aficionado in mind, Fat Tug is a Northwest-style India Pale Ale with an intense hop profile featuring notes of grapefruit, mango, melon and passionfruit. Sufficient malt is there to provide support. At 7% alc/vol and 80+ IBUs this beer delivers on the promise to satisfy anyone with a thirst for all things hoppy!
This is the description on the LCBO website:

"B.C.'s Driftwood Brewing brings us a Northwest-style IPA with an intense and flavourful hop profile. Aromas and flavours of grapefruit, mango, melon, passion fruit, tangerine, pine, sweet malt and floral notes deliver a big, bold and smooth-finishing beer. Partner with pungent cheeses, shellfish, or boldly spiced dishes."

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:21 pm This is the description on the LCBO website:

"B.C.'s Driftwood Brewing brings us a Northwest-style IPA with an intense and flavourful hop profile. Aromas and flavours of grapefruit, mango, melon, passion fruit, tangerine, pine, sweet malt and floral notes deliver a big, bold and smooth-finishing beer. Partner with pungent cheeses, shellfish, or boldly spiced dishes."
That's a brilliant idea, checking the Elsie's inventory. I just did an LCBO.com search to see if they describe beers with those notes, or if reviewers said the same.

A lot came up, particularly Ottawa-region beers, including:

- Trestle Brewing Co. 30,000 Islands IPA
- Stalwart Brewing Snake Oil IPA
- Bicycle Craft Velocipede IPA
- Great Lakes Brewery Canuck Pale Ale
- Cassel Brewery Caboose IPA
- Covered Bridge Brewing Lumbersexual Session IPA
- Whitewater Brewing Co. High Tide
- Toboggan Brewing Lunatic Fridge IPA
- Bench Brewing Short Hills East Coast IPA

Plenty of piney wines, gins and soju as well. I'm excited and a little jealous!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I tried Shakedown from Big Rig and in my notes have pine listed as being fairly prominent. I was actually quite impressed with it overall as far as Big Rig goes, one of the better ones I've had from them lately.

Amsterdam Boneshaker is the other one that comes to mind when I think of that classic west coast profile, it's definitely got a piney element. Probably still my favourite from that early 2010s crop of Ontario IPAs along with Lone Pine and Mad Tom. Amsterdam has pretty wide distribution, so I imagine it's available in the Ottawa area.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

seangm wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:51 pm Amsterdam Boneshaker is the other one that comes to mind when I think of that classic west coast profile, it's definitely got a piney element. Probably still my favourite from that early 2010s crop of Ontario IPAs along with Lone Pine and Mad Tom. Amsterdam has pretty wide distribution, so I imagine it's available in the Ottawa area.
I always get grapefruit rind with Boneshaker. I still really enjoy it, but prefer Lone Pine myself. Haven't had a Mad Tom in ages.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:46 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:51 pm Amsterdam Boneshaker is the other one that comes to mind when I think of that classic west coast profile, it's definitely got a piney element. Probably still my favourite from that early 2010s crop of Ontario IPAs along with Lone Pine and Mad Tom. Amsterdam has pretty wide distribution, so I imagine it's available in the Ottawa area.
I always get grapefruit rind with Boneshaker. I still really enjoy it, but prefer Lone Pine myself. Haven't had a Mad Tom in ages.
Definitely, I get pithy citrus from it as well. Mad Tom was always a grapefruit bomb too, little to no pine from memory though.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:03 pm There's no actual "pine" in there, (i.e. it's not a spruce beer, etc) but I find it has the dank resiny flavour that could be described as pine.
Chinook, Columbus, and Simcoe hops could be argued as the most piney hops, and all three of those (plus Summit) are in Lone Pine.
I really love old-school classic West Coast IPA's, and Lone Pine is still one of the best examples of the style, imo.
Agree. The piney-est beer would have lots of late addition hops high in alpha and beta-pinene. Chinook is a pretty damn piney hop.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.