Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Recruiting back to the Bar Towel

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Cass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:47 am
Andicus wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:50 pm No word from Greg Clow? I see him on twitter.

What about Joey Capps, Dan-D-Man, Beer Kitten?

Would be great for Perry to stop by, too.

Same with Ken Woods. We don't seem to get Black Oak, locally, these days!
Greg still does a fine job getting the beer news of the day out at Canadian Beer News, but hasn't logged in here in over 5 years. Some of the other early adopters of BT, not sure what they're up to nowadays. I've always thought about Bar Towel like a pub...regulars will come and go over time, some folks just stop in once in a while.
Greg's closing up Canadian Beer News:

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/1 ... beer-news/

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Cass wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:48 pm
Cass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:47 am
Andicus wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:50 pm No word from Greg Clow? I see him on twitter.

What about Joey Capps, Dan-D-Man, Beer Kitten?

Would be great for Perry to stop by, too.

Same with Ken Woods. We don't seem to get Black Oak, locally, these days!
Greg still does a fine job getting the beer news of the day out at Canadian Beer News, but hasn't logged in here in over 5 years. Some of the other early adopters of BT, not sure what they're up to nowadays. I've always thought about Bar Towel like a pub...regulars will come and go over time, some folks just stop in once in a while.
Greg's closing up Canadian Beer News:

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/1 ... beer-news/
I think this last bit desrves its own thread, particularly with regard to, "Where do we go now for news?"

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Cass wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am Newsletter time! I'm not sure in all the years if I ever did a digest style drop about some of the threads. I'll do it from time to time and see if any new (old) folks drop by. For the regulars, any feedback welcomed.

https://share.sender.net/campaigns/6WNT ... bar-towel-
Wow, had no idea this was still circulating. Very cool! I love the tone and it's very bite-sized and readable. If I were to offer some suggestions:

- In "light" mode, the orange colour of the links is a bit hard to read.
- The CTAs, linking to threads, don't always "read" as buttons. Maybe it should be styled like links? And you may want to indicate (at least in the first link) that it points to a conversation thread on the forum. That said, the links are embedded in the topic summaries, so maybe they're not necessary anyway.
- One of the links ("We're keeping track...") took me to a statssender page with a DNS issue. Probably been fixed since then.
- For the subject, may want to put the date or week number so that the emails aren't threaded.
- May want the sender name to be something like "Cass at Bar Towel" or similar.

Cheers!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

shintriad wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:21 pm Wow, had no idea this was still circulating. Very cool! I love the tone and it's very bite-sized and readable. If I were to offer some suggestions:

- In "light" mode, the orange colour of the links is a bit hard to read.
- The CTAs, linking to threads, don't always "read" as buttons. Maybe it should be styled like links? And you may want to indicate (at least in the first link) that it points to a conversation thread on the forum. That said, the links are embedded in the topic summaries, so maybe they're not necessary anyway.
- One of the links ("We're keeping track...") took me to a statssender page with a DNS issue. Probably been fixed since then.
- For the subject, may want to put the date or week number so that the emails aren't threaded.
- May want the sender name to be something like "Cass at Bar Towel" or similar.

Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I think I'll drop these from time to time - 7.72% click through rate so seemed like it was of interest to some.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Thanks for the recent newsletter. I'm back after a long absence.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ralphus wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:15 pm Thanks for the recent newsletter. I'm back after a long absence.
Welcome back @Ralphus! Nice to see you again on the forum.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

FWIW, I migrated the forum to a new server in the last couple of days so hopefully it's faster for everyone.

Google's PageSpeed insights gave the site a 99/100 on desktop performance! (I should have checked before, but let's just say it was lower! :P )

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:38 pm FWIW, I migrated the forum to a new server in the last couple of days so hopefully it's faster for everyone.

Google's PageSpeed insights gave the site a 99/100 on desktop performance! (I should have checked before, but let's just say it was lower! :P )
But I can only read so fast! This is getting to be like the credits at the end of TV shows whipping by. :o
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I know it doesn't seem like much, but the activity on the forum thus far in 2024 puts us on pace for the most activity since 2018. Woo!

Keep it up!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm I know it doesn't seem like much, but the activity on the forum thus far in 2024 puts us on pace for the most activity since 2018. Woo!

Keep it up!
There's been a lot of good discussion. Nice to see.

I am particularly intrigued by how much traction the "Non-Alcoholic Beer" thread has got - almost 7200 views in 4 month, and 62 posts. I have not looked into these much (although perhaps I should), and although I was aware there were quite a few out there, there is much more than I realized. It's a good example of a discussion that has a value beyond just social chatting.