Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anchor Brewing Ceases Operations

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Anchor Brewing Ceases Operations

Post by Chris »

Doesn’t sound like they are doing so well! Or rather that Sapporo ran them into the ground.

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/anchor- ... pany-sale/

Chris

Post by Chris »

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

That's truly sad news. I had always enjoyed Anchor Steam. It was one of my go-to's in the early 2010s. Sorry to see them go.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Man, 127 year run. They were one that seemed invincible.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

"A representative for Anchor Brewing Co., Sam Singer...attributes the decision to a mix of familiar factors: “the impacts of the pandemic, inflation, especially in San Francisco, and a highly competitive market left the company with no option but to make this sad decision to cease operations.

Current and former workers cite another factor: Sapporo USA’s ownership itself. Over the past few years, they tell VinePair, the Japanese conglomerate’s United States’ subsidiary has been deferring necessary plant maintenance, picking fights with its union, and investing in costly automation equipment in hopes of retrofitting the urban manufacturing landmark into a facility that could handle its lager-based ambitions. A controversial 2021 rebrand caused anguish among workers and drinkers alike who viewed the vivid packaging and slick logo as an affront to Anchor’s singular, artisanal aesthetic."

Hmmm.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Geez, you'd think they could have knocked out some hard soda or something to bring in the revenue. :roll:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:08 pm "A representative for Anchor Brewing Co., Sam Singer...attributes the decision to a mix of familiar factors: “the impacts of the pandemic, inflation, especially in San Francisco, and a highly competitive market left the company with no option but to make this sad decision to cease operations.

Current and former workers cite another factor: Sapporo USA’s ownership itself. Over the past few years, they tell VinePair, the Japanese conglomerate’s United States’ subsidiary has been deferring necessary plant maintenance, picking fights with its union, and investing in costly automation equipment in hopes of retrofitting the urban manufacturing landmark into a facility that could handle its lager-based ambitions. A controversial 2021 rebrand caused anguish among workers and drinkers alike who viewed the vivid packaging and slick logo as an affront to Anchor’s singular, artisanal aesthetic."

Hmmm.
It will interesting to know how this effects their properties in Canada.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I’ve said before that I’m never surprised at anything that happens in beer nowadays, and I can’t say that I’m shocked. But I’m still genuinely saddened by this.

I remember being enamored with Anchor before even trying them thanks to the write-up in Michael Jackson’s pocket beer guide (see below). Back then they just seemed like a cool, old-school micro that had a broad lineup, something that was pretty nonexistent around here. I remember visiting the brewery years ago (picking up tin tackers for $5/each) and how cool it was.

I always loved Liberty Ale, and regularly bought both that and Steam when they were in Ontario. I still have a few bottles of Old Foghorn that I guess are collectibles now!

It sucks that their awesome story came to end this way.
Attachments
IMG_6589.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_6590.jpeg

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Very disappointing news. Like many, Anchor was one of my earlier forays into the world of American craft beer and Liberty Ale still stands out as a "wow moment" when I first tried it. It'll be a shame if rumblings from the workers are true and Sapporo turns the old brewery into just another brewing facility for their beers. I'd love to think there's someone out there who could step in and save Anchor, it's survived this long.

Also that rebranding. Wow. Somehow I missed that, likely since we haven't had Anchor up here for years, but that really is awful. Their labels and overall branding were iconic, I really loathe modernist sleek branding that marketers seem to be obsessed with.

Cherish those tin tackers @Cass! I found a bunch of Anchor bottles with my old homebrewing stuff while cleaning out the basement the other day, glad I still have them.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:23 am Also that rebranding. Wow. Somehow I missed that, likely since we haven't had Anchor up here for years, but that really is awful. Their labels and overall branding were iconic, I really loathe modernist sleek branding that marketers seem to be obsessed with.
I somehow missed it too. I agree with your comments.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I remember having Anchor Steam, while I was on business in California, probably sometime in the early 2000s. It was very fresh, and delicious.

I did enjoy it here, occasionally, but it was never as good.

Haven't seen it here in ages. Very sad that they're shutting down.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/anchor- ... eover-bid/

Not sure if anything will come of this, but it would be amazing if the employees pulled it off. Seems like the best progression so to speak; a storied brewery saved in the 1960s going on to pioneer the modern craft beer era, saved once again to become an employee co-op in an era of industry consolidation. I think that would be a great story. You can bet they'd reinstate the old branding as well.