Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Aging canned Unibroue vs bottled

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Aging canned Unibroue vs bottled

Post by skaghevn »

I noticed (with some dismay) that the seasonal pack of Unibroue at the Beer Store now is canned, not bottled. I'd really like to set some aside for aging, but have doubts about how things would turn out with canned beer. Anyone have any experience in this area, and/or does anyone know if it's still easy to pick up big bottles (750 - 1500ml) in QC?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I've never had any qc issues with aging canned beer.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ditto. Half my cellar is cans.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

If anything cans will retain a fresher, or closer to canning date flavour than bottles and should remain drinkable as long or even longer. Downside is generally some of the changes attributed to aging in bottles, especially that sherry-like result of slow oxidation may not happen; or will take far longer to happen.

By nature of the types of beers I've bought to enjoy later, almost all of my aging experience is in bottles, but after Amsterdam switched Tempest to cans I held onto those for at least a couple years and they were still excellent.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Can vs bottle aside, it’s kind of a shame that the new mix pack is down to just 4 beers. I would get the mix bottle pack from time to time, and IIRC the last one had Terrible & Raftman. Kind of weird that they dropped Blanche de Chambly too, so now the mix pack is all high octane.

https://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/unibroue-mix/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Cass wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 pm Can vs bottle aside, it’s kind of a shame that the new mix pack is down to just 4 beers. I would get the mix bottle pack from time to time, and IIRC the last one had Terrible & Raftman. Kind of weird that they dropped Blanche de Chambly too, so now the mix pack is all high octane.

https://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/unibroue-mix/
That mix is actually quite appealing to me: no Blanche and no Ephémère = a potential purchase for me!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

The winter pack has always been skewed towards the higher abv end; it was good to have a Chambly tossed in, even if it was the Blonde. It is a shame that they've reduced the amount of variety in the pack, although the trade-off is more beer -- 355ml cans vs the old 341ml bottles.

Thanks for the feedback with regards to aging; with the exception of a canned barley wine I had forgotten, I've only ever aged bottled beer.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I think I like that mix better as well; Blanche is easy to find standalone and I never cared much for Ephemere. Will have to keep an eye out on my next empties run.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Don't get me wrong - I love all these beers. I guess my point is compared to the other mix pack, you kind of need to buy it with something else to balance it out. I tried drinking only the strong octane Unibroues one night recently at my parents and I couldn't keep it going like I used to be able to :P

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:23 am If anything cans will retain a fresher, or closer to canning date flavour than bottles and should remain drinkable as long or even longer. Downside is generally some of the changes attributed to aging in bottles, especially that sherry-like result of slow oxidation may not happen; or will take far longer to happen.

By nature of the types of beers I've bought to enjoy later, almost all of my aging experience is in bottles, but after Amsterdam switched Tempest to cans I held onto those for at least a couple years and they were still excellent.
Cans do kind of take the fun out of it, though. No more living on edge wondering what was the noise you just heard from the basement. Asking yourself should I open this over the sink or take it outside? 'cmon folks, live a little. :lol:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.