Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Gem on Davenport Closed

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

The Gem on Davenport Closed

Post by Cass »

Haven't been in a while before it closed due to the fire but sad news to see a long-standing pub close.

A fond memory of mine at the Gem was it was where I went immediately after I received my first-ever Bar Towel branded merch - some simply designed blue coasters. I stuck one under the glass at a table as they had those ones with labels, coasters, biz cards and such underneath. So it marked the first distribution of the old coasters! Not sure it survived all the way until the end but I'd like to think it was still under one of those tabletops.

https://www.thestar.com/life/food-and-d ... 2.amp.html

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Minor correction: Davenport.

I grew up in the area and although The Gem came after my time there, it was often a place of reunions with old friends from the area. I heard about the fire and feared this would be the outcome.

They were an archetype of the perfect neighbourhood gathering spot. Sad to lose them, even if I didn't get to the area anymore to visit much.

LET THIS BE A CALL OUT TO EVERYBODY HERE: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL AND DON'T TAKE THEM FOR GRANTED!!!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 pm Minor correction: Davenport.
Thank you - fixed!