Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

:roll: Red Herring

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

:roll: Red Herring

Post by Tapsucker »

While I get the sincerity of what is being said, I really think the conversation should be more about putting stupid stuff in beer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/peanut-al ... -1.7161997

And if it's about respect for people with allergies, then it's also time to pile onto brewers using lactose. Especially those that don't clearly label. Plenty of people have no idea they might be consuming that when trying the latest novelty beer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Lactose is an intolerance, not an allergy. Allergies can be deadly, intolerances just mean you're in for an unpleasant time.

NOW THAT SAID...

1) I wholeheartedly agree the backlash on this beer is bullshit, and people just need to put their big boy/girl/gender neutral pants on and stop sucking so much (in general, not just to this specific issue)
AND
2) Can we please put "lactose" on the cans so I don't shit myself??
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

It strikes me that there are three different issues here.

1) Putting stupid stuff in beer. Not much to discuss in my opinion. If someone wants to make a chocolate mint stout with vanilla and jalapeno peppers, who I am I to say they shouldn't. Of course, I may not buy it. :wink:

2) Labelling beer with all the ingredients. This is important, whether for allergies, intolerances, or just because I want to know.

3) The name of the beer in this article getting the backlash. I get what you're saying Matt, that sometime society is a little too sensitive, but I don't agree with you on this one. This name is inappropriate, especially since the beer has peanuts in it. There are some good arguments in the article.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Elsewhere on this forum people have cited the novelty factor - people want to drink beers that are new to them. We can expect to continue to see stunt beers with non-Reinheitsgebot ingredient lists.

I fall on the side of those who think we need more humour and less condemnation. This is sounding like the ancient Smashbomb episode.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Am I the only one who thinks the beer name is smart?
Anyone who does have serious allergies will be cautious with a beer named Epi-Pen to make sure it doesn't contain ingredients they are allergic to.
If it was named something generic like Happy Bear the risk of someone inadvertently buying it could increase.
Maybe they should do a whole series of Epi Pen beers with different allergens...?
:o

I am all for ingredients on labels too...it's been interesting seeing many non-alcoholic beers I've had lately listing all their ingredients.