Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Old Credit Amber Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Publican

Post by Publican »

A fellow employee asked me to pick up a couple of bottles of Old Credit Amber Ale from the brewery for our company Christmas Party. After purchasing said bottles I was chatting with the brewer and I asked him if I could get a sample, as I had not had it in a long time. While I think that it slightly better than Molson or Labatt's there seems to be no after taste, I didn't know this was a Dry Beer. I believe the purpose of microbreweries is to make a product that is diffrent the the major breweries namely one that has both a distinct taste and some finish, unfortunatly Old Credit Brewing Company dosen't think so and seems to be successful as they have been in business since 1994.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Ah, Publican 'tis the dilemma we face. The big brewers make money while the micros make beer. As for the lack of character in some craft ales, we may have only ourselves to blame. The average beer consummer is becoming more sophisticated, but it is a slow process. Beer culture is eons ahead of what it was 20 years ago but there is still along way to go before finely crafted ale and lagers with bitterness,flavour and colour are the average beer drinker's choice. Lest we forget, many drinkers think they are on the leading edge when they drink Rickards or Keith's. If you ask most brewers( and you catch them in an unguarded moment) if the beer they make is the best they can brew, most would reply "No, its the best beer I can sell." The profit margin for most craft breweries are such that they must sell a certain volume of beer to remain viable.They can't afford to wait until the public catches up with them. So the circle continues. My Session Ale is only 32 IBU yet many consider it too bitter!
That is what comes from generations raised on Coca-Cola and donuts. Still,I agree with you about micros. They should be a little more adventurous. Perhaps we could lead by example and educate them. This Forum is proof that there is demand. We simply have to find more like minded drinkers and bring them into the fold.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Perry, I have heard from people that your Session Ale is too bitter. Last Friday night I was at the Winking Judge in Hamilton when I overheard a customer who was drinking a sample of your beer mention it was too bitter and bought a pint of another craft brewery. I had just finished 3 pints of your Porter and thought I'd switch to the session, both beers were spot on and your Porter beat the Propeller Porter(from Halifax) hands down. I know you'd like the average beer drinker drinking your beers, and while I'd like more people to drink craft beers I wouldn't want the average drinker to drink your beers because I believe that would lead Molson's or Labatt's to buy you out and shut down your brewery. Look what happened to Celis after Miller bought them. Two problems that people that drink beer should get over is that beer should always be 5% ( your session at 3.8 is perfect, full in flavor and you're able to drink a number of pints whithout getting drunk). The second problem is that people think that beer should only be served ice cold, I've had session ice cold and at cellar tempeture and I prefer it cool but not cold. Pubs that served craft beers should know that ales should beer served at 10-12 degrees celicus.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2001-12-20 20:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2001-12-20 20:58 ]</font>

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Thank you Publican for your encouraging words. You're right when you say that if the average drinker drank my ales things would be different. Maybe Molson, Labatt and Sleeman would have to re-evaluate their approach to brewing...I will never sell Scotch Irish anyway. It is a true labour of love (as my accountant is always pointing out) and I can't imagine anything else being so gratifying.If it was only money I was after I would not have chosen this field of endeavour. As the old saying goes " If you want to make a small fortune doing craft beers, start with a large fortune."
Thanks again, it is patrons like you that make it all worthwhile.
Cheers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PRMason on 2001-12-20 23:55 ]</font>