Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brakspear at Smokeless

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Anybody downtown this weekend who is into fine English ale should drop in to see Smokeless for some more Canadian exclusives we've supplied...these are from Brakspears in Henley-on-Thames....Coniston Bluebird Bitter (former CAMRA Grand Champion), Vintage Henley, Natural Organic and Henley Strong Ale....enjoy!!!

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

I noticed you have lots of exclusives at Smokeless, do you have any plans to bring some to Ottawa? maybe at the Arrow and Loon, or the Italian Pub?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Unfortunately, the LCBO has a very prohibitive laboratory fee of $135 per product if you bring in more than 5 cases of any product in a one year period. As Smokeless Joe orders the full 5 cases of each product and since demand in Ottawa would be small, the price of these beers would go through the roof if we were to bring in 10 or 15 cases. We are more than willing to bring in these products but the demand is not there.
We don't do business with the Arrow and Loon because, as far as I know, they don't carry super-premium imported bottled beers...if they do, let me know and we'll call on them.
In regards to Pub Italia, Joe has a great selection of beers but his volumes are quite small so he wouldn't be likely to want more than a case of each at a time and it just isn't worthwhile.
We would gladly love to see 5 or 10 bars around the province carrying some of these beers but, unfortunately, few are interested in carrying high-end, hard to find beers.
FYI, in regards to Brakspears,the LCBO Pale Ales and Bitters promotion in March will include their Bitter and the autumn Ales, Stouts and Porters promotion will include their Ted & Ben's Organic Beer.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Just curious, does that LCBO lab fee apply to *every* greater-than-5 Case order in a year, or just the first one?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

It applies only if more than 5 cases in total have been ordered in a one year period. If we order 5 cases, there is no lab fee. If afterwards we order one more case, we are charged the lab fee. To be fair, I would not want to charge any one customer for the lab fee so when we know that we're going to bring in more than 5, we'll spread the fee over the total number of cases we're going to bring in.
As far as consumers are concerned, there is a lab waiver which, to my knowledge, is still in effect which means a consumer can choose the waive laboratory testing, however, I hear that they may be considering cancelling this option. I did recently place some orders for consumers from UK and US breweries where we excercised this option.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Just a request, if I may, not to post new beer announcements until they are actually at Joe's. My weekend starts at 5pm on Friday and as of 7 there were no Brakspears on offer at Smokeless.

Publican

Post by Publican »

I was at Smokeless Joe's from 8 till 10pm this evening and at about 9 Joe was receiving
the Brakespear beers he was trying to find room in his fridge for the cases and will start selling them tommorrow. I will have to stop by tommorrow and defintly try Coniston Bluebird bitter, I tried the draught cask conditioned version at the brewery tap in the Lake District of England in the fall of 2000 and am excited to try the Brakspear version. It is 4.2 vs 3.6 in the Real Ale version

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2002-01-26 00:50 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Sorry about the late delivery of Brakspear on Friday night...not only did I beat the shit out of the delivery guy on Saturday, afterwards I fired him! In all seriousness, the product should have been there earlier on Friday but my guy had a bunch of deliveries to do and was late getting there. With all due respect to Josh, we have always delivered when we said we were going to and Brakspear is available this "weekend" at Smokeless but my apologies nonetheless. I can appreciate that if you've got you're mind set on wrapping your lips around some hard to get good English Ale, it's disappointing when it's not there when you are.