Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Ale, Cranberry Maple, Wunderweisse & Cantillon lamb

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Cask Ale, Cranberry Maple, Wunderweisse & Cantillon lamb

Post by lister »

It was a rather busy weekend. On Friday my girlfriend and I had dinner at the Bow. I apparently got near the last of Denison's Weissebier which I found out when the table beside us tried to order it. Lucky me. :) A couple of Sleeman chicks were there giving out free bottles of Sleeman Cream Ale. I don't understand why Sleeman would come to a place like the Bow to hawk their suds. It would make more sense to go to a place that has more mainstream brews rather than try to convert fans of micros. I finally had my first cask ale, the Harvest Ale. Is that an example of a good cask ale? If so, I don't quite understand what the hoopla is about. It was good yes but not something to rave about.

On Saturday we stopped by Smokeless for drinks while waiting for our HHGTTG movie time. I was quite happy to see what was on tap. I had a Magnotta Wunderweisse, Stratford Pilsner and sampled the Church Key Cranberry Maple which was quite good. Surprisingly so considering I hate cranberries. The maple must take a lot of the edge off. If we wind up going to Church Key's shindig on Saturday I'll definitely bring back a case or two. I noticed on the chalkboard that there were three Cantillon bottles, the gueze and two others which had nondescriptive french names. Joe came by and I asked him what those two were. He said raspberry and apricot and they were very tart. Considering I'm not big on tart stuff and the prices $12-$14 each, I didn't get one for myself. My girlfriend, who likes tart stuff (she really liked our youngberry brew my friends and I brewed last year) ordered the raspberry one. Wow is that tart! I probably could finish half the bottle with food but the prices are an obstacle. I understand from some of the posts here that the Cantillon are examples of real lambics but I think I'll stick with the faux "syrupy" Mort Subite and Kriek ones instead. More for you guys. :)

The Stratford Pilsner was nice and refreshing. It made for a good transition from the Wunderweisse to the Floris Honey which I finished with. (Cantillon sampling just ahead of the Floris.) I think we may have too many good Pilsners now in Southern Ontario. Some more variety would be nice instead of doing what everyone else is doing. Same with all the pale ales.

I wish Smokeless would put up a website and list what they have on tap so as I know when it's a good time to head down for a visit. :)
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Anyone else expecting to hear about cantillon marinated lamb from the subject line? :lol:

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:Anyone else expecting to hear about cantillon marinated lamb from the subject line? :lol:
Heh. The subject box did let me type in the ics. I don't know what happened to it afterwards.

Maybe that's a dish that the Beer Bistro could give a whirl... :D
lister