Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Baltika and Zywiec porters

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Spong

Baltika and Zywiec porters

Post by Steve Spong »

I have a question directed to nobody in particular, although maybe somebody would have an answer. Why is it that we can get the mass-produced euro-lagers made by Baltika and Zywiec, and yet cannot get their fantastic porters? I've gotten both from Premier and Beers of the World with no difficulty (not to mention good pricing - under $2 US each), and yet we cannot get them here. Granted, the LCBO did recently rectify the long draught of Okocim porter, so perhaps there is hope yet?

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

I believe it's because these brands are largely sold to their respected ethnic communities in Ontario, and as at home, the lagers by far and away outsell the porters. On the other hand, I notice that the Estonian Saku lager has recently been listed and am hoping against hope that it might be followed by its delicious Porter brother.

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

I have had th Saku Porter and in fact picked it up at the LCBO clearance centre at Royal York and the 401. I'm not sure what it was oding there, but I got some and it was pretty good.

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

On Sunday I picked up a couple of Okocim Porter at the Cooper St. LCBO. Drank one, too. Very nice. Mellow and sweet. A nice 8 percent kick to it, although that too was gently suffused in a pleasant taste. A lovely winter drink.

God forbid we should get these beers more often, or that they should be reliably stocked in one or two downtown Toronto stores for the balance of the winter. I understand Steve's assertions about the circumscribed nature of the market, but I think it is the LCBO that also goes to some lengths to limit the market for these products by insisting on shipping two six packs of everything to every podunk duckberg throughout the vast and indifferent province of Ontario.

You need only look to our American cousins to see how these things function when left to a market model where demand dictates service. There is always a Premier or a Merchant of Vino in the nice part of town. And the drudges buy their commonplace wassail at the local gas station.

I am not one to insist that the free market will cure all ills. In fact, this model of marketing grog seems to safeguard everyone's interests but the public's interests in a free and competitive marketplace. (For further reading, try John Kenneth Galbraith's "Economics and the Public Purpose".) It's genuinely depressing to have a revelation from a nice beer like this, and enjoy it, all the time aware that it may well be the last time I ever drink it.

Kind of puts a downer on an otherwise lovely glass of beer.

Regards,

Uncle Bobby
Last edited by Uncle Bobby on Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Uncle Bobby wrote:On Sunday I picked up a couple of Okocim Porter at the Cooper St. LCBO.
[...]
It's genuinely depressing to have a revelation from a nice beer like this, and enjoy it, all the time aware that it may well be the last time I ever drink it.
This may be true of some beers from the LCBO, but the Okocim Porter is a general list product that should be fairly well-distributed for some time to come. My local LCBO has been well-stocked since it was first introduced a few months ago (although this location happens to be quite handy to the Polish neighbourhood, so that could partially explain it).

clasher

Post by clasher »

Despite having a large Polish community here, we haven't seen a drop of it in K-W... If the employees at the LCBO didn't give me a blank stare when I ask about it, perhaps something would be done to rectify the situation. Alas, such things drive a man to homebrew.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

NEWS FALSH: Just spotted in your local LCBO: Okocim porter!

If you want a wonderful baltic porter this is your daisy...I checked with the LCBO and they are indeed on the shelves...don't know for how long.

Okocim porter was one of my favorite drinks before Carlsberg bought the plant and discontinued Okocim porter production about 4-5 years ago....I guess it's back...and welcome. I will be putting in a case for sure.
Aventinus rules!

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I believe that the Saku porter is available at the Estonian House on Broadview, just south of Pottery Road. This was the case a few years ago, when an Estonian friend of mine gave me a bottle, but I don't know if it is still true. I might have to go through her, seeing as how I'm not Estonian or speak a word of it. If I went in and started speaking Russian, they'd probably run me out on a rail. Can anybody else confirm or deny whether or not it is in fact available there?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Don't know about the Saku...but get the Okocim...the real thing like the zywiec :wink:
Aventinus rules!

mds

Post by mds »

The Zywiec porter is available at Frontier Liquors in Buffalo...I think it was $1.75 for the half-litre last week.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:NEWS FALSH: Just spotted in your local LCBO: Okocim porter!

If you want a wonderful baltic porter this is your daisy...I checked with the LCBO and they are indeed on the shelves...don't know for how long.
Uhhh... perhaps you missed my post earlier in the thread where I wrote the following:
the Okocim Porter is a general list product that should be fairly well-distributed for some time to come.
And there was also this thread back in August when it first appeared on the shelves.

So don't worry - it's not one of those frustrating seasonals that will disappear when you're still wanting more. :wink: