Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal Beer Festival

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Montreal Beer Festival

Post by lister »

So we're thinking about doing the ol' killing two birds thing with scheduling a Montreal trip during the Beer Festival there. It's running from Wed May 31 through Sun June 4 this year. I've been reading up as much as I can on it but do have a few questions for those that have attended previously.

I presume attendance is higher during the weekend than the weekdays but how much so? Is it ridiculous like the Toronto Fort York festival or tolerable? I'm more inclined for a weekday (my knees ache from walking slow in crowds plus people generally suck) but would like to keep my options open if possible.

How is the food there? Is it reasonably priced and can make a good lunch?

The website mentions about prepaying for a package deal. Is it really worthwhile? The site didn't provide any details so I've sent an email off asking for them.

I'm hoping that the smoking ban goes through in May/June. Gah! I hated reeking of smoke last year.

Since I don't like last minute rushed planning I'll ask these questions now:

Are there any new brewpubs and excellent micro pubs that are worthwhile to visit? We're definitely going back to Les 3 Brasseurs (since the girlfriend really liked their blanche and they have a full menu) and Le Cheval Blanc since I loved the atmosphere there. Dieu du Ciel may be up for another visit if we visit Marche Rahman again since they're close to each other.

I'm also trying to find out the hours of Schoune (sent them email) so we can stop in on the drive back. I want a couple of cases of their maple beer! Yum!

Are there any other places close to the subway lines for getting bottles? Other than Metro Joannette, Rahman and Bonisoir tôt ou tard which we'll be visiting.
lister

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

If you take highway 20, going out of Montreal, just on the opposite site of the river, across from the edge of the island is a small depanneur called Le Gobelet.

They will have everything you need, including glassware and micros.

http://maps.google.com/maps?sll=37.0625 ... 8,0.039911

Or just click on maps.google.com and search for "le gobelet".

Ratebeer link.
http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlac ... laceID=255

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thanks! We'll stop by there when we leave. Glassware too! 8)
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

When you say Beer festival I assume you mean mondiale? I went two years ago, and i did find that first day i was there, i think the Friday was significantly less crowded. Some beers actually ran out as well so plan to get your "must haves" right away.

I spent the whole weekend there basically. Their is (was?) no admission fee so you can come and go as you please. One smart strategy might be to show up early, drink, go do other stuff and come back.

Other recommendations from my experience: bring a glass if you like, the glasses they offered were pricey and not that great - and not mandatory. I actually found I got better pours in my Unibroue glass at some places.

I also recommned Joanette and Le Gobelet. I personally find Joanette cheaper for some things.

mds

Post by mds »

Yes, admission is free and you don't require a glass.

They have plastic cups at each station that you can use for each pour.

I went last year Friday through Sunday and found that Friday during the day was the least busy. The evening crowd gets quite rowdy and very congested.

If you're looking for a good meal at a brewpub I would recommend L'amère à boire, which is a short distance from 3 Brasseurs, they also have some nice beers.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I got a reply back from the festival about the package deal:

the 2006 package deal will be similar as 2005
package means : for around 40$ you wil get 1 t-shirt, 10 tasting coupons, 1 tasting mug, 1 Quebec beer and flavour guide, 1 Beer trek map of Quebec and the official program. You get your stuff on the site during the event.

The exact deal for this year will be on the website at the end of March.

We're probably not going to bother with it.

Has anyone been to the Ste. Elisabeth pub? I've read some nice things about it. We'll be staying nearby.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Another item that I'd ideally like to get my hands on in Montreal is a Blanche de Chambly tap handle. Does Le Gobelet carrying handles too? I know I can get one off of eBay but I'll leave that as a last resort...
lister