Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Columbus

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

aeroeng

Columbus

Post by aeroeng »

May be heading to Columbus this weekend, and would like to know if there are any good places to check put while there

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

We were in Columbus on the May long weekend and there are many good beer options....several great brewpubs and a number of good beer stores. The only problem I had was deciding what to bring back. Check out ratebeer's Columbus beer map at http://www.ratebeer.com/places2/map.asp?mid=141.

From personal experience, From The Vine and the Kenny Road Market are a couple of good beer stores, although neither looks it from the outside. From The Vine is mainly a wine shop, but has a good, albeit limited, beer selection. FWIW, it ranked 16th on ratebeer's Best Beer Retailers 2007 list. The Kenny Road Market looks like a crummy convenience store, but has many coolers full of micros. There is also a chain called Cost Plus World Market with a few Columbus outlets that looks like a Pier 1 type of store, but also sells beer and wine.

From a brewpub perspective, you can't go wrong with either of the two Barley's locations, BJ's or the Elevator. All three have great food and offer a good range of in-house beers. Barley's also has guest taps and sells their beer to go in growlers. Last time there, among others, I enjoyed a pint of Stone Ruination, and took away a growler of a fine Imperial Stout. BJ's is the newest brewpub and is in the Polaris district in the north end near From The Vine and a World Market store.