Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn Ales 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Autumn Ales 2007 release

Post by GregClow »

Since this thread has generated so much interest, and it looks like the LCBO is back to doing some pretty decent seasonal/themed beer releases again, I've decided to start a new thread for each release that will remain "sticky" until the next release starts hitting shelves.

So I've renamed this thread from "Upcoming LCBO Releases" to "LCBO Autumn Ales 2007 release", and moved the listing of beers for the Winter Warmers release into a new thread.

Here are the beers included in the Autumn Ales 2007 release, all of which have arrived in stores (except as noted). Note that some of them have already sold out, and all of them were/are available only at selected LCBO locations:

LCBO # / PRODUCT NAME / % alc./vol. / Unit Size / Retail / COUNTRY
55400 / Harvey's Porter 1859 / 4.8 / 500 / $3.60 / GREAT BRITAIN[/i]
676957 / Belhaven Twisted Thistle / 6.5 / 500 / $3.25 / GREAT BRITAIN
54031 / Carlow Moling's Red Ale / 4.3 / 500 / $3.50 / IRELAND
926162 / Burton Bridge Porter / 4.5 / 500 / $3.50 / GREAT BRITAIN
697649 / Deuchars IPA / 4.4 / 500 / $2.60 / GREAT BRITAIN
504670 / Fuller's 1845 Bottle Conditioned Ale / 6.5 / 500 / $3.50 / GREAT BRITAIN
54304 / Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted / 4.2 / 500 / $3.00 / GREAT BRITAIN
54049 / Petrus Old Brown / 5.5 / 330 / $2.05 / BELGIUM
894048 / Black Sheep Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale / 4.7 / 500 / $3.15 / GREAT BRITAIN
32540 / Scotch-Irish Black Irish Porter / 4.5 / 341 / $2.00 / CANADA
54106 / Trafalgar Smoked Oatmeal Stout / 5 / 650 / $3.95 / CANADA
340919 / Okocim Porter / 8.3 / 500 / $2.45 / POLAND (NO LONGER PART OF THE RELEASE)
57828 / O'Hanlon's Royal Oak / 5 / 500 / $2.90 / GREAT BRITAIN (MOVED TO WINTER WARMERS RELEASE)
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 14 times in total.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

wow. that's a pretty decent looking pair of releases.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Indeed, first time in a while I'm looking forward to a big chunk of these releases.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

this is excting news. Some great releases and LCBO quantity prices

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Great Googly Moogly. I tried some Harviestoun products four years ago at Smokeless, and they blew my mind. There's no way in hell the LCBO would bring something like that in...there's just no way.

Is...is there??

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some nice stuff in there. Can't wait for GL's Pumpkin Ale, I've longed for a one of these in Ontario. It's a style I always look forward to picking up if I'm in Buffalo in the fall.

bestbitterman

Post by bestbitterman »

Any date on when these will be available?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

bestbitterman wrote:Any date on when these will be available?
Autumn Ales - Sept
Hallowe'en Beers - Oct
Winter Warmers - Dec

Although as past experience as shown, the releases usually end up being staggered, with the beers hitting shelves at different times over the course of several weeks, or even months. Some of the Summer beers that were supposed to be out in July won't be on shelves until late August/early September. So just keep an eye on the forum for sighting reports.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

It's a definite step up - there's some real gems there and at INCREDIBLE prices...
Alot of new reviews for average, run of the mill UK stuff ...

I'm NOT complaining, but again let's wait and see which ones make it ...

The best part, to me, is seeing the Scotch Irish!!! Congrats Perry!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Awww, I was all ready to post a whiny response about the new release, but there are actually some interesting options in there!

No nice yankee brews, of course, but some decent offerings from across the pond. Even the Aventinus Eisbock! Is it really 500mL? (It's a 12% alc beer - I've only seen it in a 330mL bottle.) Tried that one recently, but can't say I enjoyed it as much as the regular Aventinus, which is totally awesome.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

sstackho wrote:Even the Aventinus Eisbock! Is it really 500mL? (It's a 12% alc beer - I've only seen it in a 330mL bottle.)
I think this is one of those "any or all of the info may change" situations that I mentioned above. They probably based on the size on the regular Aventinus.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

GREAT news!

(So great, it's almost unbelievable).

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Greg, that's quite the info they provided...I hope it pans out.

Not sure if it's part of any special promotion, but I saw St. Peter's Best Bitter on LCBO shelves. Never noticed it before, but will try it soon.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Twisted Thistle & HOW many porters for the Autumn?

Aventinus Eisbock AND St. Ambroise Vintage for the Winter?

Could happen but never know with these guys. There's almost too many good possible choices to really screw things up this time.

Two things: I'm really happy to see two Scotch Irish products in the fray, Ontario brewers take note that 'character' brews are getting some play here... and I'm also really (sorta) surprised the LCBO continue to ignore (deny existence of?) the USA micro scene despite the cheap US dollar.

Granted these releases are 95% British Isles styles - still, we could include SOME of the US-made IPAs and and Imperial Stouts and porters and pales and ESBs and BW's all within that "style group." Scotch Irish's fine product should be an example urging other Ontario brewers to step up to that American level of expertise if they can. Would we support more USA-style micros? OF COURSE WE WOULD!!!

(Oh and thenks to Mr. Greg for being 'on it' as per usual.)
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:and I'm also really (sorta) surprised the LCBO continue to ignore (deny existence of?) the USA micro scene despite the cheap US dollar.
Foggy memory... :D

See here: April 2008: USA Micro Beers. http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3220

Perhaps the LCBO wants to keep them all to that release in April? Or the US micros need time to get their stuff together for a large LCBO release?
lister