Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had one of those Mexican Chocolate Yeti's that come in the extra tall boys that showed up in the LCBO recently: https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... fKrXurMJPY

It was a good Imperial Stout, but I didn't pick up much chocolate to be honest. Can't say I love the format either; I really didn't need the extra 68 mL on a beer that big. Good beer though, glad I snagged a few more to drink over the winter!

I also had the RochefortTriple recently, which I enjoyed a lot. It's not going to replace the Westmalle in my heart, but I buy the Triple's available to me.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Rochefort Triple and the Yeti were both nice surprises. I keep picking up more Trynt Meadow every time I pass by it at LCBO. It's really scratching my itch these days.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A good few cans of Barncat’s ESB. It’s fantastic. Full malty body, a little bit nutty. Got a bit of that classic British earth hop thing going on and just about perfect carbonation. The only thing missing for me is that kind of marmalade-y yeasty flavour you get from some of the true best of the style. Almost perfect balance in this beer.

Also lots of Fairweather Donna. The best Ontario made Pilsner never disappoints.

Third Moon Kils Pilsner. Also a really good drink that I’m glad these guys seem to be making somewhat regularly.

Bellwoods Bounty Hunter. I’ve never been too impressed with this beer on the other occasions I’ve had it. This is the first time I’ve had it canned, always in bottles before. The adjuncts are much more noticeable now and I think this version is much better than others I’ve had.

Royal city Goldie pale ale. They’ve put this one into their regular rotation, and I’m happy for that. A solid juicy pale ale that’s still got a nice bitterness to it. Something about it reminds me of the old Cameron’s RPA from years ago. And in my book, that’s a really good thing.

Great Lakes lager has become my go-to snow shovelling beer. Solid, easy drinking and tasty beer at a great price. Also a bonus that I can get it at the grocery store down the street.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A Wellington Helles Yeah! Which is hitting the spot something fierce. I really feel like Wellington have upped their game dramatically over the last few years.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Expectation can be important when trying a new beer. My first sip of a Black Gold Pantless in Petrolia IPA wasn't very good. Took a closer look at the can and in quite small print it said "jalapeno pineapple imperial IPA". That explained it.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Enjoying a couple of Mascot Pilly's with my partner. Didn't check the brewed on dates and from what I can tell there's about a 6 month difference. They also noticeably look different:
20220305_174723.jpg
It a really good beer when fresh, still decent when not.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

lagerale wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:03 pm Enjoying a couple of Mascot Pilly's with my partner. Didn't check the brewed on dates and from what I can tell there's about a 6 month difference. They also noticeably look different:

20220305_174723.jpg

It a really good beer when fresh, still decent when not.
Wow, that's quite the visual.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Henderson's 2021 Beast Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Amber Ale

Despite the fact I've never had much of a liking for bourbon, I have come to love bourbon barrel-aged beers. Mostly these are stouts, this one is an amber ale. I loved it. Great flavour, appropriately packaged in a 375 mL bottle given that it is 12% alc

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Henderson Ides 70 - 2022 February: Malting Silos Multigrain Porter

Thumbs up!!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Muskoka Detour, feeling simple these days.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

The Hamilton Brewery Blue Collar Pale Ale.

Have not had it for a few years. I know I liked it....and proved tonight I still do.

Introduced in 2015 at $3.05 Currently in the LCBO for $3.25

P.S. It's actually brewed at Railway City in St. Thomas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Inflation's a bitch so I've been searching for palatable, cheap options as my "utility" beer. I generally find the German imports to be high quality for the dollar, but honestly I've been drinking a fair bit of Cool Beer and it's definitely serviceable for $39/case.

I know, I'm probably going to get jeered out of here now... Curious if anyone else is in the same boat, perhaps there are better budget beer recommendations lol. That said, I'm still buying good stuff but I'm a lot more selective and cost conscious than ever.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Totally! Dab at 2.40 a tallboy is a cottage staple for me.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

seangm wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 am Inflation's a bitch so I've been searching for palatable, cheap options as my "utility" beer. I generally find the German imports to be high quality for the dollar, but honestly I've been drinking a fair bit of Cool Beer and it's definitely serviceable for $39/case.

I know, I'm probably going to get jeered out of here now... Curious if anyone else is in the same boat, perhaps there are better budget beer recommendations lol. That said, I'm still buying good stuff but I'm a lot more selective and cost conscious than ever.
I generally go with bulk Great Lakes purchases, since they have case discounts, if I want a serviceable, cheaper option.

The Great Lakes Lager, Light Lager, and Vienna Lager are $50 for 24 tall cans. Great value imo.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:34 am Totally! Dab at 2.40 a tallboy is a cottage staple for me.
For sure, I'll often grab Dab Dark. Haven't had the original for a while, might need to revisit.
walz22 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm I generally go with bulk Great Lakes purchases, since they have case discounts, if I want a serviceable, cheaper option.

The Great Lakes Lager, Light Lager, and Vienna Lager are $50 for 24 tall cans. Great value imo.
Definitely one of the highest quality to value propositions, just wish I lived a little closer. I've seen Canuck on sale for $50 at the Beer Store too, but even the regular price at $54 is a great deal for that beer.

edit: Just did the math and GLB at that price is cheaper than Cool per litre, so that is definitely a better suggestion on multiple fronts! Glad I brought it up, haha.