Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Great Lakes Fernado's. New, or at least new to me.

Kind of old school. A bit more malt forward than I've become accustomed to, but I'd call it well balanced anyway. No real hop aroma, all malt. Not a bad thing, just more of a celebration of a style we don't get much of these days, or done well these days. I'll give it 8/10 for interest and 9/10 for execution.

Picked up the latest Thrust! on the same shop. Very nice. Got a big hit of grapefruit out of that can.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

According to Wellington Brewery, today is International Stout Day. Who knew? (I didn't).

But I'll participate. I will be having a Henderson Export Stout this evening.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

This years GLB Lake Effect is a real winner. Last years was a great return to form, but I think this year is even better. Somehow well balanced, but still lively flavour and aroma. Dare I say, it's probably their best beer.

Also tried a new GLB offering, Sultana Solero NEIPA. It looks to be a one off. It seems to have a softer/smoother profile than many current NEIPAs out there that are leaning a bit too acrid. I would definitely restock on this one too.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Agreed drank one last weekend and it was fantastic. Will be buying more next weekend when they release the NEIPA versions of Canuck and Octopus wants to Fight. For variety and value, my favorite brewery. The styles they make are what I like to drink.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a couple of the lake effects this week. They're stellar! Reminded me why I fell in love with that beer in the first place.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Merchant Ale House Skullkrusher Bourbon Barrel Aged Brown Ale

This was really good.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts 2020 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter

500 mL, 11.5% alc

I'
am posting this because, well, it's the purpose of this thread, and this beer is awesome. But also...to show that I can successfully submit a single, unedited post after consuming this. :D

And the irony is not lost on me that I am drinking this potent beverage on the same day I started a thread about alcohol and health. That just happened, wasn't planned. :wink:

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:16 pm Collective Arts 2020 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter

500 mL, 11.5% alc

I'
am posting this because, well, it's the purpose of this thread, and this beer is awesome. But also...to show that I can successfully submit a single, unedited post after consuming this. :D

And the irony is not lost on me that I am drinking this potent beverage on the same day I started a thread about alcohol and health. That just happened, wasn't planned. :wink:
Fantastic beer. I only wish I’d bought more.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Einbecker Ainpockisch 1378

I've only even had the Ur-bock Hell from this brewery before, but noticed this on shelves the other day. It's great, and so different from what local breweries are making. I wish instead of bringing in imports like Brewdog and Omnipollo (okay fine, they kinda brew locally now so maybe they don't count) who are generally making things like what the local brewers make, we could get more access to some of this more "old world" sort of stuff. We get pretty good access to trappist stuff, but there's so much more out there.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Enjoying Great Lakes current 7 Barrel Series Flight HBC 1019.

A very nice bright and refreshing take on NEIPA. I have found too many beers in this style to just be acrid. This one is good and clean. Well done!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Tapsucker wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:18 pm Enjoying Great Lakes current 7 Barrel Series Flight HBC 1019.

A very nice bright and refreshing take on NEIPA. I have found too many beers in this style to just be acrid. This one is good and clean. Well done!
Yeah, this one had huge tropical notes — coconut and pineapple up the proverbial wazoo.

What I really loved is their Westetobicoken Patersbier. Maybe I'm naive, but it's the best homegrown beer in that style (Trappist single) I've ever had.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Craig wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:51 pm Einbecker Ainpockisch 1378

I've only even had the Ur-bock Hell from this brewery before, but noticed this on shelves the other day. It's great, and so different from what local breweries are making. I wish instead of bringing in imports like Brewdog and Omnipollo (okay fine, they kinda brew locally now so maybe they don't count) who are generally making things like what the local brewers make, we could get more access to some of this more "old world" sort of stuff. We get pretty good access to trappist stuff, but there's so much more out there.
Just had my bottle last night and now I'm wishing I bought more. This was a pleasant surprise and I completely agree, I'd be far more interested in seeing more like this. It was smooth and malty with a really nice grassy, spicy noble hop bite on the finish.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A can of GLB Karma Citra that’s tasting great.
I bought a couple of the Karma 4pack they had during the early summer, and this Karma Citra is tasting much better than the ones in the pack I think. For that matter, it’s tasting better than it has the past couple of years. That old pine-y bitter finish is back and it’s tasting a bit more like its old self. A good thing in my books.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Anybody want to play Duck, Duck, Goose?
Duck, Duck, Goose.png

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I just did a brewery crawl in the east end of Toronto. I started at Eastbound brewery, and I had a glass of their Hefeweizen. Sorry I can't remember the actual name of the beer,. However it was very tasty and well made to style. Highly recommended.

Next we went to Saulter Street Brewery, where I had an About Bloody Time English pale ale. It had a nice caramel flavour with some traditional English hops in the finish. If you like the style, you will probably be satisfied with this brew. Then I had the Krampus barley wine, aged one year in cognac barrels. It was decent, but I prefer my barley wines with more hop flavour.

Finally, we went to Radical Road. I hsd their Duncan's Vixe dunlkeweiss. This was good, but not quite as good as the eastbound hefeweizen.

Avling was closed today. In conclusion, there are some good breweries to try near or on Queen street on the east side of town.

Cheers.