Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Edmonton pubs

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Edmonton pubs

Post by midlife crisis »

Can anyone recommend the best pub or pubs in Edmonton? (I believe there are a few people with Alberta connections on the site). My ideal place would have Alley Kat and/or other micros I'm not aware of on tap, and hopefully a cask conditioned option.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

You are screwed. For reasons unbeknownst to me, Edmonton does not have a single decent pub or brewpub. They do have 1 fantastic liquor store - the Sherbrooke - where all 500 brands of beer are kept in a massive walk-in cooler.

For pubs, you've got your typical "irish" pubs that serve Guinness, Stella, Big Rock, Kilkenny, etc. The only actual brewpubs are Brewsters. The Brewsters chain of brewpubs is just that; a chain of brewpubs that seem more like sportsbars; loud, tons of TVs, and average beer (can range from passable, to bland, to infected). The Alberta locations still have seasonal offerings, some of which can be ok.

Your best bet would be to tour the Alley Kat brewery. I'm also a fan of Da-Deo, a cajun, no-minors diner that serves Alley Kat Full Moon Pale and Amber on tap, as well as the contract brewed Alligator Lager (Alley Kat Charlie Flint Lager infused with chilis).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That is not very encouraging! Thanks though for your honesty. All I want is a place with Alley Kat on tap in decent nick. No time for a brewery tour; only there one night. Perhaps I'll try Da-deo or if anyone knows anywhere else decent with Alley Kat on tap, please post. Thx.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Another option are the Original Joe's restaurant/pubs. There are 2 locations in Edmonton, each one has slightly different taps - the 102 Ave location appears to have the better selection, you can view the tap lists here:

http://www.originaljoes.ca/

You could also try contacting Alley Kat and ask them the best place to find their beers on tap, they are very friendly. I would recommend phoning them, as they don't seem to check email or update their website very often.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Just got back. I enjoyed Alley Kat pale ale at The Next Act pub and DaDeO cajun restaurant, both in the Old Strathcona district. That was about it though.

Alley Kat has a helpful list on their website of all their draught accounts in Edmonton and environs, by beer.

Might be another thread for the Local Guides section ...

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

So, has the Edmonton beer scene moved on since the last post in this thread? I am moving there in February and need to know if I will at least find a few decent pubs/bars/liquor stores to take my mind off the cold.