Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Vermont

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

JerCraigs wrote:Anyone have accommodations recommendations for Burlington and Waterbury?
15 minute north of Waterbury, Ye Olde English Inn (Stowe) has about 25-30 taps in their hotel bar :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think I saw that place. Was more looking for something walking distance to Waterbury bars. So far it looks like a Best Western and a bunch of Inns of varying quality.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

You can't beat the location of the Old Stagecoach as you can walk to the bars in Waterbury. Stayed there in January.

Burlington has a couple of hotels right on the waterfront which is an easy walk to all the downtown places. Don't stay near the interstate unless you want to cab everywhere.

Read my writeup :-)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:You can't beat the location of the Old Stagecoach as you can walk to the bars in Waterbury. Stayed there in January.

Read my writeup :-)
I did read your writeup :) Did you like the Old Stagecoach? I was looking at it on Trip Advisor and while most reviews are glowing, some of the negative ones gave me pause.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yep, we had a great experience there. Both myself (and GF), another couple and my sister, husband and their two kids all stayed there at the same time.

The only thing I think would irk TripA people is that it's a real family operation. So the old man is the patriarch, the kids, grandkids and great grandkids are kicking around, so sometimes it felt like I was staying in their family home. But for precious or antisocial people I suppose that could be bothersome. Didn't bother me, we skied all day and drank all night.

Me & GF along with the other couple had rooms 7 & 8, which were two halves of a private floor at the very top. Quite private as no other neighbours around. Very nice room.

Better than average breakfast for a B&B as they'll make what you want off of a menu rather than it being a set dish each day.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

What are "precious" people? I'm anti-social, but I have no idea what I'd have to do to be precious short of a toddlers in tiaras kind of thing. :)

I've stayed in Stowe at the Green Mountain Inn, was awesome, but expensive. Great hotel bar there too (The Whip?). In Burlington, I find the two downtown soooo expensive. I'll be there Thursday night, but I'll stay at the Green Mountain Suites in South Burlington. Easy access to downtown by cab. For the price difference and quality of room, a couple of cab rides is no biggie.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Did you find it easy to get cabs in Burlington? Do you hail them or call?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JerCraigs wrote:Did you find it easy to get cabs in Burlington? Do you hail them or call?
Just stay right downtown and you don't need to worry about cabs. There are a bunch of hotels downtown that are close enough to everything by foot. If you use Priceline there is a risk of getting a hotel that is somewhat outside of the city limits, in which case your cab question will come in to play.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

There are only two hotels downtown, or am I missing some? Hilton and Marriott? There's an inn a bit west of downtown.

Jer, I've never actually done cabs there, have always been with family and my wife has been DD. I'll be going with a buddy prior to Mondiale, so we'll be testing the cabs at that point, but from my various times being there I've seen cabs all over the place, have never really figured it would be a hassle to get one. Now you have me wondering...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

New hotel opening in the spring:

http://www.hotelvt.com

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Spent a night in Burlington, last Thursday then drove through yesterday. Unfortunately, was a family trip and we were in a hurry on the way to Boston, so didn't really get out much. Did manage to score a boatload of Heady at the cannery yesterday. Pretty wild to see them basically loading them right from the canning line into fridge!

A note for anyone staying in South Burlington... right across from the mall on Dorset there's a Whole Foods type place ... Healthy Market I think. Decent enough beer section. Certainly not Winooski Bev good, but good for a grocery store. They also carry Heady Topper, but like pretty much every place in Vermont it doesn't last long on the shelf.

Stopped into Waterbury yesterday for lunch. Ended up at Arvad's as most of the other great spots were closed. In keeping with all my experiences in Vermont though, the place turned out to be awesome. Nothing fancy with the food, just solid fresh eats (had a soup and sandwich) and a decent enough craft selection (would rank not far down a list of best taps in Ottawa if it where here). I'm convinced that I don't think it's possible to have a bad meal experience in Vermont!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

let me know if you want to trade any of that topper away :)
rejtable wrote:Spent a night in Burlington, last Thursday then drove through yesterday. Unfortunately, was a family trip and we were in a hurry on the way to Boston, so didn't really get out much. Did manage to score a boatload of Heady at the cannery yesterday. Pretty wild to see them basically loading them right from the canning line into fridge!

A note for anyone staying in South Burlington... right across from the mall on Dorset there's a Whole Foods type place ... Healthy Market I think. Decent enough beer section. Certainly not Winooski Bev good, but good for a grocery store. They also carry Heady Topper, but like pretty much every place in Vermont it doesn't last long on the shelf.

Stopped into Waterbury yesterday for lunch. Ended up at Arvad's as most of the other great spots were closed. In keeping with all my experiences in Vermont though, the place turned out to be awesome. Nothing fancy with the food, just solid fresh eats (had a soup and sandwich) and a decent enough craft selection (would rank not far down a list of best taps in Ottawa if it where here). I'm convinced that I don't think it's possible to have a bad meal experience in Vermont!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

We just got back from Vermont late Sunday night and I have to say this thread and Cass' write-up were extremely helpful in guiding us through our trip. Even ended up at some of the newer/lesser-known places like Crop, Piecasso, and Arvad's and all of them were great. As far as the recommended spots go rejtable's comment that it's nearly impossible to have a bad meal is very true. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the awesome advice...I'm coming to rely on these Bar Towel guides even more than BA/RB.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Yeah, spent a very solid 24 hours in the area again last Thursday. Loaded up on Heady Topper, lunch at Blackback (great tacos!!), Vermont Pub, Farmhouse, Das Bierhaus and then again back to Farmouse.

Had never been to Vermont Pub. Like the pub feel to the place, beer was just "meh". Farmhouse garden patio was awesome, although I really wish they had the basement pub open as well. Great meal at Farmhouse, and service was aweseome. Had also never been to Das Bierhause, and it was great as well.

Love that part of the world.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Doing a bit of business in the area in early August. 1 Night in Burlington and 1 night in Waterbury with the obligatory drive through the mountains for Lawsons and Hill Farmstead. Will likely be having a bite at Mad Taco in Waitsfield before my Waterbury stay - deadly food and a damn good taplist!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo