Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

smoke-free beer?

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DrakeNoir

Post by DrakeNoir »

Hi, this is my first post and before I ask my question I want to compliment your place.

The Bar Towel is a fantastic site and I am glad I found it today. Cass, i don't know you, but you (and many others whose posts I have just read) sound like the kind of person that I would want to rub elbows with at a good bar! Obviusly, a lot of passion has gone into this site, not to mention the eye for detail and penchant for continuous improvement. Hmmm, sounds like a recipe for a good craftsman --- or brewer! I know little about beer and much less about GOOD beer. :wink: So I thought I would learn from those whow both know and care. I am grateful that my education is beginning here.

I have looked at the FAQ and archives but I would like more information about smoke-free, beer-serving establishments. (I only know of <b>Smokeless Joe's</b> and <b><i>Le Sélect Bistro</i></b>; the latter is a restaurant.)

Would anyone like to share news or experience about this topic? I am in Toronto, but any Canadian information would be great.
:???:

If my question was already answered somewhere, I apologize! Just let me know or even post a web link to a page or site. My main concern is finding a current (Jan. 2003) listing of good places with great beer that are smoke-free (and not only restaurants).

Thanks again for the site, the board and the community.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrakeNoir on 2003-01-15 19:43 ]</font>

Bailey

Post by Bailey »

The Renaissance Cafe (Woodbine and Danforth area) is smoke free. They have a great beer selection and it's a very comfortable place.
Randy, the owner doesn't smoke and it's been smoke free since he bought the place.

Bailey

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

All the restaurants and bars in Ottawa are 100% smoke free. ( the "hot air from the Hill" notwithstanding.)
If you are ever in the Capital, give me a call and perhaps we can link up for a beer!
The offer applies to any bartoweler, of course.
Cheers!
Perry
Scotch Irish Brewing
613-622-0055

Zymurgy

Post by Zymurgy »

When Toronto announced its smoking ban, it forced restaurateurs and bar owners to decide whether they would be licensed as a bar or a restaurant (the former resulting in no one under the age of 19 to be permitted to enter). John Maxwell, the owner of Dora Keoghs and Allen's decided to have one of each. Since the implementation of the smoking ban almost two years ago, Allen's at 143 Danforth Avenue has been a haven for those of clean lungs. I might add, that although liquor sales initially dropped, the increase in food sales resulted in a significant net gain.

Beer Snob

Post by Beer Snob »

Don't forget the 'Granite Brewery' at Eglinton and Mount Pleasant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beer Snob on 2003-01-17 14:50 ]</font>

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

If you're ever in the northern part of Toronto, you can check out my favourite bar, called Algonquin Grill (I promised Cass I would write a review on them but haven't got around to it yet).

They are located about a 5 minute walk north of Finch subway station on Yonge Street. They are smoke-free and have excellent food. If you do want to smoke cigarettes or cigars, they have a little patio outside that is heated in the winter.

They have two retro fridges; one serving Cameron's Lager and Auburn Ale; the other serving Amsterdam Nut Brown and Blonde. They have other taps as well.

If you're driving by and looking for them, they're attached to the Tim Horton's building, next to the Midas Shop.

Check 'em out sometime and have a buffalo burger!