Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you brewing right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

What're you brewing right now?

Post by Derek »

Canadian SMaSH:
Single malt & single hop (Canadian 2-row & home-grown, wet cascades)
7.5 oz FWH
7.5 oz 60 min
4 oz - 25 min
4 oz - 20 min
4 oz - 15 min
OG=1.055; FG=1.018
I guess I mashed a little too warm (I didnt' want it too thin with just the 2-row).
Just racked to secondary, off the US-05 yeast cake.

Imperialish-Double Oatmeal Stout:
2 oz Warrior (60 min)
4.5 oz wet cascade - 25 min
4.5 oz wet cascade - 20 min
4.5 oz wet cascade - 15 min
More malt that I've ever mashed
OG=1.090
I pitched it on the US05 cake, but added an additional 2 packets of US05 as well. Since it's already up to the lid of the bucket, I put a blow off tube on it!

Cool-Runnings Dry Stout:
I capped the mash on the imperial with a half pound of crystal, 1.5 lbs of 2 row & 2 oz roasted barley (I did a mini mash on the side & added it to the MLT).
After 5 gallons the gravity was still 1.019, so I got greedy & collected another gallon; it went down to 1.017. The brew day was getting long (after picking hops & already doing the imperial), so I didn't boil it as long as I should have.
The OG was only 1.036, so I topped it up with a lb of molasses.
Safale S-04 British yeast

After a 14 hr brew day, I'm thinking I should've done some cleaning while I was mashing (rather than surfing the net)! Ah well... it was good day.

Next morning report: the Imperial has settled down, but the dry stout is going like crazy! The S04 is really diggin' the junk food (molasses), pushing foam out the open carboy!
Last edited by Derek on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Just bottled a smoked porter last night. Waiting for a Belgian wit I bottled two weeks ago to fully carbonate. I've got a pumpkin ale made with the Wyeast Unibroue yeast in primary, a saison in one secondary, and an old ale that needs another couple of months in another secondary.

For both the porter and wit I've bottled a few with Belgian-style corks and cages.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Not brewing anything per se, however last night I did try a bottle of the saison I bottled two weeks ago. Verdict? Needs more time...maybe another week or two. I'm very pleased with the IPA I also bottled two weeks ago. Fantastic cascade aroma, ideal bitterness for my tastes and a nice tight head that lasts right to the bottom of the glass.

Plan is to brew an ESB and a Mild Ale next weekend.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Not a dam thing :( Been a very busy summer and my gear has been sitting idle. Drinking my IPA and RyePA.

Hope to get the boiler fired up next weekend. Time to re-visit a Pumpkin Ale I tried last Fall.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Gedge wrote:I've got a pumpkin ale made with the Wyeast Unibroue yeast in primary
That sounds very interesting...let us know how that one turns out.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

My brewery is all but shutdown for the next 4-8 weeks, as we will be homeless while waiting for our new home to be finished.

The last thing I brewed was a big IPA:

6 gallon batch

1lb caravienna
1lb corn sugar
15 lbs 2-row

4oz hop blend @ 60
3oz hop blend @ 20
3oz hop blend @ flameout
3oz hop blend @ dry hop

hop blend: 7oz Centennial, 5oz Zeus, 1oz Chinook

OG: 1.079
FG: currently sitting at 1.017, but hoping to finish around 1.012 - 1.015.

My current name for it is Imperial IPA of Doom.

And a few weeks ago, I bottled up a 9% Imperial Witbier that finished real nice and dry (I think it went from 1.075 to 1.008), with a ton of orange and spice character that should settle down into a real fine drink in a couple of months.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I think we're doing a 20 gallon batch of our Monk's Elixir quadrupel on saturday. Brewed up a dubbel last saturday for a fat yeast cake. I have some sour cherries I picked in July in the freezer so maybe I'll do some cherry quad.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

viggo wrote:I think we're doing a 20 gallon batch of our Monk's Elixir quadrupel on saturday.
Are you using the same recipe as the Monk's Elixer? :wink:

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Bobsy wrote:
viggo wrote:I think we're doing a 20 gallon batch of our Monk's Elixir quadrupel on saturday.
Are you using the same recipe as the Monk's Elixer? :wink:
Almost the same, only difference is you don't get any now!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Looks like a great recipe, similar to what I'm attempting with my next Dark Strong. What kind of FG did you get on that?

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

markaberrant wrote:
Looks like a great recipe, similar to what I'm attempting with my next Dark Strong. What kind of FG did you get on that?
Can't remember, I'd have to check notes but it usually drops pretty low.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Some interesting homebrewing going on!

If any of the commercial brewers are doing anything interesting, feel free to chime in.

Update on my big stout,

I was afraid the fermentation might be stalling, so I measured the gravity today... 1.020 after 4 days! Thats 77% attenuation! And at over 9% abv, it doesn't taste nearly as harsh as I'd expect. That chico yeast still amazes me!

Though I must say, the hopping is probably covering up some of the fermentation byproducts. Right now it tastes more like a black DIPA than a big stout.

FYI, the grain bill was:
10# Marris Otter
5# American 2-row
1.25# Canadian 2-row
1# chocolate
14 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Black Patent
8 oz Crystal 120L
1# wheat
1# oats

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I ain't brewing shit ya'll!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

markaberrant wrote:Looks like a great recipe, similar to what I'm attempting with my next Dark Strong. What kind of FG did you get on that?
last years batch started at an OG of 1.089 and finished up at 1.008 (just shy of 11% and 90% attenuation!). it was supposed to be bigger bit didn't boil off as much as expected. first brew of it in '07 went from 1.104 to 1.028. i preferred the first year as it was a little fruitier, which i'd mainly attributed to it fermenting a couple of degrees warmer (that yeast is more fruity at higher temps), but it could have been partly due to the extra sugars present too. have to watch the mash temp this time and make sure it stays up.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i have a quad thats ready for bottles and a pumpkin beer that 2 weeks from bottles. im brewing a saison sometime soon.