Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

northyorksammy wrote:if ola dubh is 500 ml. then that's the cost around the globe
I passed on 2 brewdog IS at Beers of the World because they were $13.35 US for 12 oz. each
I'd imagine it's a 330ml like every other ale in this series. Why would they suddenly jump to a 500ml with a more expensive, elusive single malt barrel?

Do you ever really think stop to think before you post?

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

bartle wrote:Come on winter... hurry up already.

A shame there isn't going to be any Samuel Smith's Russian Imperial Stout. That one was a beauty.
Damn, I was so impressed with this beer last year that I couldn't wait for winter to arrive just to sample it again. :cry:

I will have to try out some of the offerings I have never tried but some of these are starting to get expensive.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Matty D wrote:
bartle wrote:Come on winter... hurry up already.

A shame there isn't going to be any Samuel Smith's Russian Imperial Stout. That one was a beauty.
Damn, I was so impressed with this beer last year that I couldn't wait for winter to arrive just to sample it again. :cry:

I will have to try out some of the offerings I have never tried but some of these are starting to get expensive.
lucky I still have a few aging. I just wanted to compare fresh vs. one year.
enjoi

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Good evening,

We are happy to see that this beer is making its way to the retail shelves. It is currently at about 27 stores, but more should be receiving stock during this week.

Given the price and unusual character we are somewhat facing an interesting test of the market. The success of this niche product along with some other beers coming to stores this winter (not only from R+ R) should prove that Ontario is ready to embrace and support new high quality beers. If these do well, we believe it will be considerably easier to bring in even more daring beers.

Roland + Russell and Phin DeMink and his team look forward to reading your reviews.

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I'll certainly buy... if it ever shows up in O-Town.... no Yellow Snow yet either. Colour me annoyed.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Roland + Russell wrote:Good evening,

We are happy to see that this beer is making its way to the retail shelves. It is currently at about 27 stores, but more should be receiving stock during this week.

Given the price and unusual character we are somewhat facing an interesting test of the market. The success of this niche product along with some other beers coming to stores this winter (not only from R+ R) should prove that Ontario is ready to embrace and support new high quality beers. If these do well, we believe it will be considerably easier to bring in even more daring beers.

Roland + Russell and Phin DeMink and his team look forward to reading your reviews.

Cheers,
You heard the man. Go buy Ola Dubh. Seriously. He makes a good point. If the LCBO sees that this "odd" beer sells out, it will certainly make it easier for importers to bring in other "odd" beers. It's all about the $$$.

Spread the word.

(But maybe someone could talk to the importer about bringing in the Choklat or Jahva rather than the Creme Brulee. Please.)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

notdan

Post by notdan »

Bytowner wrote:I'll certainly buy... if it ever shows up in O-Town.... no Yellow Snow yet either. Colour me annoyed.
Agreed. Though I did find the Creme Brulee and Great Lakes Winter Ale today, so the LCBO trip wasn't a total loss.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The_Jester wrote: (But maybe someone could talk to the importer about bringing in the Choklat or Jahva rather than the Creme Brulee. Please.)
Aww be quiet and take your insulin shot! :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

The_Jester wrote: Go buy Ola Dubh. Seriously. He makes a good point. If the LCBO sees that this "odd" beer sells out, it will certainly make it easier for importers to bring in other "odd" beers. It's all about the $$$.

Spread the word.

(But maybe someone could talk to the importer about bringing in the Choklat or Jahva rather than the Creme Brulee. Please.)
Indeed, buy Ola Dubh, buy as much as you can and we will do the same. As far as Choklat and Jahva are concerned - we are trying ... Jahva has been submitted three times so far and Choklat is currently being considered... Yes, it will be easier for Choklat if we all support the above mentioned niche beers.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

wilco

Post by wilco »

Roland + Russell wrote:Good evening,

Cheers,
I was happy to see the Creme Brulee on the shelves at my local LCBO yesterday, one that is infamous for hiding new products in the back for weeks. Bought one as a taster, will hopefully be going back for more.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roland + Russell wrote: Jah-va has been submitted three times so far and Choklat is currently being considered... Yes, it will be easier for Choklat if we all support the above mentioned niche beers.
Understood, of course.

Wow, have they not tasted them yet? :D I often wonder what are the person's qualifications making decisions for our entire province's beers, I mean are they really beer people who would know a good stout or is it just an unbelievably great job position to score.

Comments on Creme Brulee are certainly no knock on the beer OR the closely-related dessert... there's a time and place for each (mmm. Steak Frites!)

If they can't decide bewteen Jah-Vah and Choklat, maybe the LC selection panel will settle 50.50 on the ST Mokah. Personally I find Jah-Vah and Choklat disctinct yet having a LOT of similarities (very chocolatey) so I would not be let down by seeing any of the three! Some of the best stuff I've ever tried.
In Beerum Veritas

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Good news on the Ole Dubh! Need to go find some. Picked up some Creme Brulee yesterday and would be ecstatic if Choklat made it here, IMO the best of the Blackwater stouts.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Any idea on where to find the Ola Dubh? Can't seem to find it on the LCBO site....

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

ritzkiss wrote:Any idea on where to find the Ola Dubh? Can't seem to find it on the LCBO site....
I don't believe its in stores yet, so you'll have to kick your heels for a while longer. R&R's original post was about the creme brulee, and a few folks took it as meaning the Ola Dubh.

I like the idea of getting out there and supporting the kind of beers we want to see in the future. I'll certainly be doing this with Ola Dubh, and I'm planning on picking up a few bottles of Creme Brulee today. Best of luck to R&R in testing out this market and hopefully making someone in the LCBO realise that there is a demand for more exclusive stuff, at least in the larger population centres.

carguy

Post by carguy »

A new LCBO opened in Cambridge yesterday, boasting to be the "largest in the region, sixth largest in Ontario", blah, blah, "with an extensive choice of wine, spirits and beer". Well, I stopped in today, and ya, it's big, but the beer selection was terrible. Not a single thing from the winter release. Just a 40 foot cooler full of lagers. Very dissapointing, as it is much more convenient for me to get to compaired to my usual, which impressed me today by having both creme brulee and Yellow Snow. Bigger isn't always better.