Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thankfully you don't drink the label.
Enjoy the beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Thankfully you don't drink the label.
Enjoy the beer.
I hope that's the outcome. It's always a bit of a gamble with Trafalgar.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

TJ wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Thankfully you don't drink the label.
Enjoy the beer.
Except the house always wins.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Bobsy wrote:
TJ wrote:
Except the house always wins.
Well played sir. :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote: ... the cut-open boxes were stacked 8-high in the aisle, which is usual practice for a lot of products I see. You could pretty much knock them over just by breathing too hard. It's like the LCBO employee's get a kick of tempting fate......
Or they jst don't know where to put them! The planning and organization of stores in such a control-happy organization seems very haphazard. Some locations are neatly organized, some are like a Soviet fire sale. Some have great parking while others' lots are clogged with idling car traffic every evening (Queen Cox).

But as for the stacked cartons - (no wonder they keep beer in back sometimes) this may be a symptom of poor space planning. The standard LC store floor plan of very low shelves only three or so high is a VERY odd use of retail space. Where in commercial retail do you ever see that? It limits what they can stock & shelve. It probably gives the staff excellent sight-lines to prevent anyone stealing or guzzing product on the spot - that's the only way I can explain such sparse, easily-surveiled shelving. Does anybody else get the sense the product density for the sq footage tends to be low? THAT's why they have messy piles of product placed just anywhere, the shelfing system does not anticipate the incoming product.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:I'm drinking one of Steelbackguy's famous Faxe 10% and Crest 10% blends, but I added a bit of flare by infusing half a bottle of cheap Canadian Sherry. Thanks for the recipe Len, this is a gem!

Glad you liked it Jonas! It takes a real man to enjoy the subtleties of this elixer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Belgian wrote: Or they jst don't know where to put them! The planning and organization of stores in such a control-happy organization seems very haphazard. Some locations are neatly organized, some are like a Soviet fire sale. Some have great parking while others' lots are clogged with idling car traffic every evening (Queen Cox).
I was just at Queen's Quay today. I think all 250 of the Brooklyn Black's listed there are on the floor in boxes. That beer section is all boxes, but you certainly can't complain about selection. But, it seems odd that so few other stores have them.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Queen's Quay is a slight exception, moves commercial level quantites hence the cases.

Steel is clearly drunk today! :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Queen's Quay is a slight exception, moves commercial level quantites hence the cases.

Steel is clearly drunk today! :lol:

Certainly was. Drinking that Hop-It on tap is such a pleasure, but it goes down way too easy.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JesseM wrote:Grag, the Trafalgar Left Coast Pale has a product number now, 159152.
Thanks, Jesse, original post has been updated.

I see from your rating on RB that it's actually pretty decent. Good to know that it's more Hop Nouveau than Malted Corpse...

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Brewdog Punk has appeared on the shelves of the Manulife store as of Dec 24..
"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much, follow me? "

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Did the marstons oyster stout ever make it to the lcbo shelves? I don't recall ever seeing it.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

robinvboyer wrote:Did the marstons oyster stout ever make it to the lcbo shelves? I don't recall ever seeing it.
No, I don't believe it did.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Any idea why?