Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

carguy wrote:A new LCBO opened in Cambridge yesterday, boasting to be the "largest in the region, sixth largest in Ontario", blah, blah, "with an extensive choice of wine, spirits and beer". Well, I stopped in today, and ya, it's big, but the beer selection was terrible. Not a single thing from the winter release. Just a 40 foot cooler full of lagers. Very dissapointing, as it is much more convenient for me to get to compaired to my usual, which impressed me today by having both creme brulee and Yellow Snow. Bigger isn't always better.
where is the new store carguy?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Found it quite interesting comparing the US & Ontario labels of the Creme Brulee. Quite a significant difference has been made to the Ontario label - and all due to anal LCBO rulings, I suspect.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

matt7215 wrote:
carguy wrote:A new LCBO opened in Cambridge yesterday, boasting to be the "largest in the region, sixth largest in Ontario", blah, blah, "with an extensive choice of wine, spirits and beer". Well, I stopped in today, and ya, it's big, but the beer selection was terrible. Not a single thing from the winter release. Just a 40 foot cooler full of lagers. Very dissapointing, as it is much more convenient for me to get to compaired to my usual, which impressed me today by having both creme brulee and Yellow Snow. Bigger isn't always better.
where is the new store carguy?
Its on Holiday Inn drive near where the zehrs is. And I 100% concur with carguy as to its sad state. It just opened yesterday, so I plan to return later in the week and talk to the manager about hopefully reconsidering their involvement in the seasonal programs, and carrying some more interesting general listing products. Hopefully others do the same.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

carguy wrote: "largest in the region, sixth largest in Ontario", blah, blah, "with an extensive choice of wine, spirits and beer".
Bullshit is the new Prepared!
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

For those in KW, Rogue Yellow Snow, Fullers Vintage 09, and ST Creme Brulee are all at the Highland road location, just in today. This Rogue is drinking pretty damn good, super-duper hoppy and bitter.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Good idea xocoatl, and I will do the same, so the manager knows that more than one person has noticed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah Jesse the Rogue is great stuff, and just when I was getting a little 'meh' on this Oregon brewer. The Hazelnut, Shakespeare, Mocha and Yello IPA all very nice recently. If in fact they are still called those names (been a week or so since I checked.)
In Beerum Veritas

TJ

Post by TJ »

Looks like Brooklyn Chocolate Stout has shown up at the Pickering and Queen's Quay locations.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... mber=95034

Awesome.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TJ wrote:Looks like Brooklyn Chocolate Stout has shown up at the Pickering and Queen's Quay locations.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... mber=95034

Awesome.
+ 1. fucking awesome, if I may say so myself.

Screw common sense, stock beer cellar with alarmingly out-of-control numbers of bottles, and worry about the sense of it all later (if ever.)
In Beerum Veritas

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

false alarm on the brooklyn stout at queens quay. the lcbo employee said that all 197 btls were on hold for some reason.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I hope it's not the same for the ones listed in Pickering, as I just emailed my brother in law to pick some up for me....

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sanchex wrote:false alarm on the brooklyn stout at queens quay. the lcbo employee said that all 197 btls were on hold for some reason.

Probably a liscensee. They do it all the time.
I don't think they should be able to do it, because often the public has no option of grabbing some stuff. Plus, in Toronto there is a liscensee service centre.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TJ

Post by TJ »

carguy wrote:I hope it's not the same for the ones listed in Pickering, as I just emailed my brother in law to pick some up for me....
I just picked up twelve from Pickering on my lunch. They were still in the back and I had to ask for them. But they're there.

I can't wait to crack one open. This stuff makes Young's Double Chocolate taste like ditch water by comparison.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Sanchex wrote:false alarm on the brooklyn stout at queens quay. the lcbo employee said that all 197 btls were on hold for some reason.

I don't think they should be able to do it, because often the public has no option of grabbing some stuff. Plus, in Toronto there is a liscensee service centre.
I've had that happen at Queen's Quay too... VERY annoying.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
We may be jumping the gun to worry so early but yeah it's unfair to put private businesses ahead in the line. The LCBO should not be cozy with bars while ignoring us & this rule-bending is probably minor.

If BCS shows up everywhere in 5-10 days - which is how this usually goes - then we can relax. Still - the fact that many never trust things to work out shows the weakness of the LCBO's relationship with it's biggest overall client - store shoppers.

It's kind of unacceptable how much run-around & frustration our system causes, and these 'norms' indicate they really don't even want to try and see things from store shoppers point of view.

Excuses are the new Accountability.
In Beerum Veritas