Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Sanchex wrote:false alarm on the brooklyn stout at queens quay. the lcbo employee said that all 197 btls were on hold for some reason.
Probably a liscensee. They do it all the time.
I don't think they should be able to do it, because often the public has no option of grabbing some stuff. Plus, in Toronto there is a liscensee service centre.
We may be jumping the gun to worry so early but yeah it's unfair to put private businesses ahead in the line. The LCBO should not be cozy with bars while ignoring us & this rule-bending is probably minor.

If BCS shows up everywhere in 5-10 days - which is how this usually goes - then we can relax. Still - the fact that many never trust things to work out shows the weakness of the LCBO's relationship with it's biggest overall client - store shoppers.

It's kind of unacceptable how much run-around & frustration our system causes, and these 'norms' indicate they really don't even want to try and see things from store shoppers point of view.

Excuses are the new Accountability.
I think the issue isn't that they shouldn't put the product on the website as being in stock unless it is actually in the store (and ready to allow customers to buy it). It is one thing for me to go into a store and find out that a beer sold out because the inventory online was from yesterday, but it really annoys me when I go to a LCBO and am told they don't have the product.

For example, it said there were bottles Gouden Carolus at one location a few weeks ago so I went there just to pick it up. The person in the beer section said he never heard of the beer and is sure that it isn't in the back either. I say it is listed on the website and he told me that the website is frequently wrong and I shouldn't expect something to be there just because it says so on the webstie.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Popped in to Queen's Quay today, they had the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout in. I grabbed a bunch and there were still a few on the shelf - not 197 but a few.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote:
I think the issue isn't that they shouldn't put the product on the website as being in stock unless it is actually in the store (and ready to allow customers to buy it). It is one thing for me to go into a store and find out that a beer sold out because the inventory online was from yesterday, but it really annoys me when I go to a LCBO and am told they don't have the product.

For example, it said there were bottles Gouden Carolus at one location a few weeks ago so I went there just to pick it up. The person in the beer section said he never heard of the beer and is sure that it isn't in the back either. I say it is listed on the website and he told me that the website is frequently wrong and I shouldn't expect something to be there just because it says so on the webstie.
I am a patient man so I will reiterate:

1) You are clearly right in principle. And that man's explanation was incomplete (see #2).

2) Only if you CALL the store, confirming availability, is the onus is placed on the store to have the listed stock available for you (they will set it aside in your name) - otherwise, the listing means squat because on lcbo.com they TELL you to confirm by phone. It's their 'out'. They are not on the hook by our just showing up, and the listing is NOT 100% reliable.

3) The LCBO is 'aware' of the 'ghost inventory' problem (at least in Vintages) and claims they "plan" to resolve the issue of definite holds showing up in 'available' inventory (not holding my breath for that to happen, as it is a customer-oriented goal so I can't foresee their motivation to do anything.)

4) Just waiting for the system to prime with enough stock is probably less exhausting than chasing the first few bottles in a panicky frenzy. Just saying. Again, I KNOW it's crazy how they release beers willy-nlly so people are afraid of missing them, and we can't even trust they will randomly run out or arbitrarily cancel things, yet that rarely happens so we can chill.

Hope this helps any nervous beer-hunters.
__

PS - BCS looks like insanely good value for 2.50 + 10¢ deposit. Not that it's very expensive in Buffalo either, however even then Brooklyn have switched to a four-pack in the states & it is at least as expensive (is it not 8 or ten bucks USD?) YMMV.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Which of you wankers cleaned all the Ottawa LCBO's out of Yellow Snow? I want names!

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Sorry

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:Which of you wankers cleaned all the Ottawa LCBO's out of Yellow Snow? I want names!
BCS was on my way to work so I scooped half a case. But there's plenty at Cooper St & I imagine more in the back if you ask.

The Yellow Snow IPA is pretty darn good isn't it!?!?
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Rideau and Richmond are my stores, so as long as you guys stay off my turf, we'll be okay. 8)

Beer guy at..... one of the stores said he had ordered a shit load for the next shipment.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

[quote="Bytowner"]Rideau and Richmond are my stores, so as long as you guys stay off my turf, we'll be okay. 8)

Well I actually travelled down to Richmond on Tuesday before it showed stock at the Rideau store for the Creme Brulee. Please don't hate me. =D

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

nickelass wrote:
Bytowner wrote:Rideau and Richmond are my stores, so as long as you guys stay off my turf, we'll be okay. 8)

Well I actually travelled down to Richmond on Tuesday before it showed stock at the Rideau store for the Creme Brulee. Please don't hate me. =D
You're okay, I got the ST, we were there the same evening!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Is it weird that the LCBO website listing for Fuller's Vintage says 08? I feel like they might just be clearing really old stock or something. And it's still only available in a handful of stores. Am I crazy?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

The southern tier creme brulee is really decent.....essentially it's a double milk stout (A style I really like so this plug is somewhat biased) deeeelish! Id buy more but the price is prohibitive....I need more of this so Iknow what I'll be brewing next when the double rye marzen comes out of the carboys :wink:
Aventinus rules!

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

JesseM wrote:Is it weird that the LCBO website listing for Fuller's Vintage says 08? I feel like they might just be clearing really old stock or something. And it's still only available in a handful of stores. Am I crazy?

Its the 09, they arn't clearing old stock. They use the same code every year for the Fullers Vintage beers. I grabbed a few of the 09 today at Queens Quay.

bartle

Post by bartle »

robinvboyer wrote:
JesseM wrote:Is it weird that the LCBO website listing for Fuller's Vintage says 08? I feel like they might just be clearing really old stock or something. And it's still only available in a handful of stores. Am I crazy?

Its the 09, they arn't clearing old stock. They use the same code every year for the Fullers Vintage beers. I grabbed a few of the 09 today at Queens Quay.
Picked up some of the last at Queens Quay... I feel like I was being bamboozeled in how limited it is in Ontario, but [meh!], can't go astray in the cellar.
enjoi

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes. When you are confused about anything the LCBO does, it means you are crazy.

PS - the VA 2008 is not 'really old' just yet. In fact you aren't allowed to even drink one until years from now. It's like those mattress tags.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

bartle wrote:
robinvboyer wrote:

Picked up some of the last at Queens Quay... I feel like I was being bamboozeled in how limited it is in Ontario, but [meh!], can't go astray in the cellar.
Is the limited number showing in the LCBO because they are almost sold out, or is it just trickling in? I haven't been paying enough attention to the winter release
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole