Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Shelf life Recommendations

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

LCBO Shelf life Recommendations

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't really know if I should post this, but I will anyway. I really don't want to create a shitstorm, and I know the regular haters and douchebags will chime in, because they always do, but for those that are just interested, here you have it.

I was really shocked today when I read this "document". By the way, this isn't an internal document, rather, a document from labatt.

here it is..........

Shelf life reco for kegs:

110 days: Bud, bud light, busch , labatt 50

140 days: Keiths, Blue

180 Days: Labatt genuine Draught

270 days: brahma

365 days: Guinness draught, and most import brands

so all of you who really care about guiness should know that it can sit around for a year and still be "good". Even though it isn't good to begin with.

other kegs are marked as : 75 days

Thank you inside LCBO guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome!

cheers
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Any temperature recommendation?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:Any temperature recommendation?

Nah, just says "The fresher the better" :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

There's a general rule of thumb that if it's 10 degrees cooler, it'll last twice as long. But when you get down around freezing, there's some chemical reactions that just don't happen.

The big brewers probably funded some of those studies... odd that they'd ignore them.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I find it funny that so many people complain about freshness, but this sort fo thing is accepted in the industry.

bartle

Post by bartle »

freshness has only become a big issue for me since trying some of the St. Peter's Cream Stout. My glass is worrying me right now. One of those " all the components are there to call it a cream stout, but somethings...off! "

:o

Toss this off with the Scotch Irish Fail beers.
enjoi

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

bartle wrote:freshness has only become a big issue for me since trying some of the St. Peter's Cream Stout. My glass is worrying me right now. One of those " all the components are there to call it a cream stout, but somethings...off! "

:o

Toss this off with the Scotch Irish Fail beers.
I really enjoyed the two St. Peter's Cream Stout I got, I didn't notice any issue with the freshness. Then when I went back to the next day to pick up some more they were wall gone and haven't been back.

But really, just like the LCBO says, as long as it is within a year for imported brands, it is ok!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i had a few st peters creme stout and they were awesome. i didnt even look at the date on them. tonight a had a kozel that was within a few month of expiring, it tasted as fresh as some ontario lagers due off the line. freshness is a reletive thing.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

As a douchebag, I'm curious. Aren't these particular beers pretty much just-in-time products? I mean, they run the factory consistently to maintain capacity, so why would there be an expectation that this stuff would sit in the channel very long. We aren't talking about a valuable commodity, this is something where you would expect to see the inventory turned as rapidly as possible. A keg sitting around for 30 days is capital tied up for too long in the minds of the shareholders.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tapsucker wrote:As a douchebag, I'm curious. Aren't these particular beers pretty much just-in-time products? I mean, they run the factory consistently to maintain capacity, so why would there be an expectation that this stuff would sit in the channel very long. We aren't talking about a valuable commodity, this is something where you would expect to see the inventory turned as rapidly as possible. A keg sitting around for 30 days is capital tied up for too long in the minds of the shareholders.

You're not so bad, certainly not one of the d-bags I was talking about. :) There are only a couple with that dubious distinction.

Like you, I am confused by this. Why would Guinness need a shelf life of one year?

Brahma for 270 days? What's the difference between Brahma and LGD, that Brahma has a much longer life? They are both poorly made pale lagers. I wouldn't want to know what Brahma tastes like 270 days later, thank you very much.

By the way, like I said, this is a Labatt document, provided to the LCBO about how we should keep our beer. No wonder certain beer guys/girls have unpasturized beers on the warm shelf for 6 months!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Thank you inside LCBO guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome!
Great, go ruin everything. Now I will express my hostile & mis-directed anger at your post because 1) my daddy didn't love me, 2) I feel bitterly entitled to special treatment, and C) my thinking lacks a single iota of logical congruence.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Stella kegs can last over a year - sitting on your living room floor in the sun before tapping.

wilco

Post by wilco »

This sounds like the makings of a Worst Beer Tasting Ever...

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

As far as freshness goes my rule of thumb is, "If there is dust on the bottle in the store then it is too late!"

Tried some Anchor Steam the other day with a best before date of 08 2011, is that possible?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ukie wrote:As far as freshness goes my rule of thumb is, "If there is dust on the bottle in the store then it is too late!"

Tried some Anchor Steam the other day with a best before date of 08 2011, is that possible?

It is pasteurized and filtered, so it very well could be.