Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Customs regulations

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale Belly

Customs regulations

Post by Ale Belly »

I'm honeymooning in Europe this June- Belgium, Paris, Germany- and I'm interested (obviously) in brining some good beer home to share with friends and fam. Is anyone familiar with international customs regulations? The Border Services website lists the common exemption rules that I'm familiar with from travelling to the US by car- 24 cans or bottles tax free- but do these same rules apply to international air travel? Apart from the tax emptions, I don't see any other limits for importing alcohol, does that mean that I can bring back any amount of beer that I want as long as I pay tax after the first 24 bottles? I won't be brining back more than 24 bottles anyway, I'm just curious.. Any body have any experience or insight?

Ale Belly

Post by Ale Belly »

Just realised that I posted this in the 'LCBO and Beer Store' forum. Whoops. As I'm posting Team Canada is up 7-3 and I'm three homebrews and two Welly County Ale's deep.. guess I got a little excited!

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

that's about right. i travel quite bit to the US and routinely bring back at least the equivalent of a 24 if not more. i haven't had to pay taxes on anything yet (knock on wood). the only response i've gotten is amazement that i can fit so much beer in my luggage without breaking. make sure you pack your suitcase tight and line the outside with cardboard. works everytime.

Ale Belly

Post by Ale Belly »

Does it go in your carry-on bag or can it be checked with your stowed luggage?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Ale Belly wrote:Does it go in your carry-on bag or can it be checked with your stowed luggage?
It's got to be checked, I recall watching another couple have to put aside wine when returning from Greece. Silly 3x100ml rules. Although once you are in duty free you can buy bottles.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm pretty sure the limits are the same for international as for the US. My Belgian haul was limited more by weight than legalities - I actually bought a second suitcase in Brussels to bring it all home in.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Sanchex wrote:that's about right. i travel quite bit to the US and routinely bring back at least the equivalent of a 24 if not more. i haven't had to pay taxes on anything yet (knock on wood). the only response i've gotten is amazement that i can fit so much beer in my luggage without breaking. make sure you pack your suitcase tight and line the outside with cardboard. works everytime.
When I went to New York last year, I had a 12 bottle foam wine shipper that I trimmed down to an 8 bottle shipper, it took up half my suitcase. I ended up bringing about 10 bombers back and it put my luggage at almost the maximum at 66 lbs (max on porter is about 70). They didn't charge me for the extra weight but it would have resulted in about $50 extra. It worked very well though.
Image[/img]
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Yup, same rules for importing regardless of where you are coming from. However, you could be subject to another province's import rules if you weren't landing in Ontario.

Assuming you are landing in Ontario, you can bring in up to 45 litres of booze (over 5 cases of beer) if you are willing to pay the taxes - and willing to haul it all around!

Happy honeymooning.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

sstackho wrote:Assuming you are landing in Ontario, you can bring in up to 45 litres of booze (over 5 cases of beer) if you are willing to pay the taxes - and willing to haul it all around!
If you land in Quebec, you can bring in 1 case duty-free and 1 case with duty. This is especially important when you are returning from the US by car and have a choice of routes.

Ale Belly

Post by Ale Belly »

Thanks for the info. I can start planning my haul.

Next question - I'm quite familiar with Germany and it's beer offerings and Paris is mostly for the new bride, but I need some tips on Belgium. I'm staying in Bruge and I'll probably get an afternoon or two to drag the wife to a couple of breweries- any suggestions to which are best to see? Any reccomendations for pubs or resturants? Any suggestions for beers to sample and/or return with?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

When I was flying back from Portland I had 13 bombers in my suitcase. Each bottle was in a sock, then I wrapped those around my other clothes. Total weight of my suitcase was 57 pounds and the limit for United was 50 pounds. I put some stuff from the suit case to my carry on and was able to get it down to about 54 pounds. I tell the guy that it is the beer in my suit case that has all the weight and I really wanted to bring it back to Toronto because we can't get any of them there. He seemed to understand my issue and just accepted 54 pounds as being <= 50 pounds. I love Portland.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Ale Belly wrote:Thanks for the info. I can start planning my haul.

Next question - I'm quite familiar with Germany and it's beer offerings and Paris is mostly for the new bride, but I need some tips on Belgium. I'm staying in Bruge and I'll probably get an afternoon or two to drag the wife to a couple of breweries- any suggestions to which are best to see? Any reccomendations for pubs or resturants? Any suggestions for beers to sample and/or return with?
Here is the thread for recommendations for Belgium

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

phirleh wrote:...When I went to New York last year, I had a 12 bottle foam wine shipper that I trimmed down to an 8 bottle shipper...
Pray tell, where would one find the aforementioned foam wine shippers? Please and thank-you.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

The_Jester wrote:
phirleh wrote:...When I went to New York last year, I had a 12 bottle foam wine shipper that I trimmed down to an 8 bottle shipper...
Pray tell, where would one find the aforementioned foam wine shippers? Please and thank-you.
I'm lucky, the company across the hall from me is a wine importer so they had tons of them, but I remember seeing in another thread that you could get them from Uhaul in their shipping supplies
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote:When I was flying back from Portland I had 13 bombers in my suitcase. Each bottle was in a sock, then I wrapped those around my other clothes.
Ziplok bags on each bottle are good in case one breaks.
In Beerum Veritas