Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

My strawberry rhubarb pale ale. A non-homebrewing friend was interested in brewing it, so I put the recipe together and we did it together, and while I wouldn't have chosen to pair the style with those fruits (and it still wouldn't be my first choice, maybe a nice Berliner) it turned out pretty good and is a nice easy drinker.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Spicy Ramen Red ale and blueberry cider.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ōwakudani Gose. 4.8% 17 IBU Tasty!

lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Newcastle カレー
Body is a little too thin but otherwise the カレー came through.

v2 is in order. A porter base should work better.

lister

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Heading over to the GTA Brews Holiday Party bringing growlers of: Black Sour (WLP Sour Mix, Bellwoods NRFTW dregs, and Lambicus aged 1.5 years), Intergalactic Corgi Butt IPA (Galaxy and Mosaic), and Particularly Fox (a mild from 2nd running of a barleywine).
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

A Dortmunder and AIPA.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Apricot pale ale. I think I got the balance right between real fruit and flavour extract.

Basswood Wildflower mead. Such a problem set of meads. First bottle didn't kill me and is tasty still despite having to pasteurize it.
lister

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Best Case (from Noble Grape) Belgian Farmhouse Saison extract kit. Approx. 6% alc./vol and 22 IBU's.

This was my very first homemade brew and I really like it. I made it in my Fastferment. Nice fruity (peach, apricots, lemon) a bit of spice taste and just the right amount of carbonation. Even though it's a bit of a different style, it reminds me a lot of La Fin Du Monde both in taste, body and carbonation. My friend thought along similar lines. I'm only drinking it a week after bottling as the kit suggests I may, but it will likely get better with a few weeks more in the bottle. I'm impressed thus far, however. The kit includes: 300g munich malt, 400g rye malt, 150g flaked wheat, 3.6 kg light liquid un-hopped malt extract, 24g Chech Saaz (boiling hops), 20g Hallertau Hersbrucker (Finishing Hops), 170g bottling sugar and Belle Saison Yeast. The only thing I would do, is maybe kick up the bitterness a little by adding a few more grams of hops. A bit more spiciness would also be awesome by adding more rye. Other than that this is a lovely kit, I'm not ashamed to share with friends.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Lukie wrote:Best Case (from Noble Grape) Belgian Farmhouse Saison extract kit. Approx. 6% alc./vol and 22 IBU's.

This was my very first homemade brew and I really like it. I made it in my Fastferment. Nice fruity (peach, apricots, lemon) a bit of spice taste and just the right amount of carbonation. Even though it's a bit of a different style, it reminds me a lot of La Fin Du Monde both in taste, body and carbonation. My friend thought along similar lines. I'm only drinking it a week after bottling as the kit suggests I may, but it will likely get better with a few weeks more in the bottle. I'm impressed thus far, however. The kit includes: 300g munich malt, 400g rye malt, 150g flaked wheat, 3.6 kg light liquid un-hopped malt extract, 24g Chech Saaz (boiling hops), 20g Hallertau Hersbrucker (Finishing Hops), 170g bottling sugar and Belle Saison Yeast. The only thing I would do, is maybe kick up the bitterness a little by adding a few more grams of hops. A bit more spiciness would also be awesome by adding more rye. Other than that this is a lovely kit, I'm not ashamed to share with friends.

Welcome to homebrewing and thanks for waking up this thread!

If you do this recipe again, I'd recommend adding some Chinook hops around 30-15 min from finish. They are a great compliment to the rye malt and bring out the spiciness you are looking for. German Tettnanger can do the same, but are pretty subtle and your Belgian yeast will likely stomp on them.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Tapsucker wrote:
Lukie wrote:Best Case (from Noble Grape) Belgian Farmhouse Saison extract kit. Approx. 6% alc./vol and 22 IBU's.

Welcome to homebrewing and thanks for waking up this thread!

If you do this recipe again, I'd recommend adding some Chinook hops around 30-15 min from finish. They are a great compliment to the rye malt and bring out the spiciness you are looking for. German Tettnanger can do the same, but are pretty subtle and your Belgian yeast will likely stomp on them.

Ooh, thanks. That's exactly the type of tip I was looking for. How much of the Chinook hops should I add, around 20 grams or so?

Also, would the beer benefit from a longer boil? I ask because the recipe called for a 30 minute boil, once the first addition of hops are made. It actually took an awful long time to bring my 20L stock pot to a boil on an induction stove top, so I was concerned whether the entire thing was under powered (but when it did come to a boil it never lost that state, so I'm not sure). Guess what I'm trying to ask is whether the wort would be harmed in any way if I extended the boil to 60 minutes, instead of 30.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Lukie wrote:

Ooh, thanks. That's exactly the type of tip I was looking for. How much of the Chinook hops should I add, around 20 grams or so?

Also, would the beer benefit from a longer boil? I ask because the recipe called for a 30 minute boil, once the first addition of hops are made. It actually took an awful long time to bring my 20L stock pot to a boil on an induction stove top, so I was concerned whether the entire thing was under powered (but when it did come to a boil it never lost that state, so I'm not sure). Guess what I'm trying to ask is whether the wort would be harmed in any way if I extended the boil to 60 minutes, instead of 30.
Definitely get your boil up to 60 mins and try to keep a rolling boil for that time (uncovered). It's more about breaking out the proteins and boiling off compounds and flavors you won't want. Your beer will be better. Yes, early hopping on a long boil will also give room to build more bitterness, but personally I like to put my hops more to work on flavor and aroma. As for longer, there is no harm in a longer boil if you are looking to concentrate sugars toward a bigger beer, but that's probably the only reason to go longer.

As for amount. Chinook is generally a pretty high alpha hop, but you will be using it later in the boil and not get as much of a bittering kick. I have a rye pale ale I make regularly where I like to push that character. In that I use 1 oz at 30 min and another at 20min into a 5 gal batch. It never overpowers, but saison type yeasts can be hard to predict and I don't have much experience with them. You might want to dial it back a bit to start.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Cooked up some Toronto Smoked meat, truffle mac & cheese, coleslaw and pickled eggs and brewed beer & cider for a party this past weekend:

Peach Blonde
Biscuits & Gravy Peppercorn White Stout
Orbit Session IPA
Idaho 7 IPA
Azacca IPA
"Juicy Fruit" Bubble Gum Cream Ale
Perky Blonde
Honey Roasted Garlic Wheat

Apple Raspberry Cider
Apple Apricot Cider
Apple Blood Orange Cider
Apple Watermelon Lime Cider
lister

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

On tap:
American brown ale DDH w amarillo
American brown ale DDH w mosaic
Apfelwein
Stout w chocolate, cocoa nibs, espresso and vanilla bean

Next brews:
Centennial IPA
And maybe rogue hazelnut brown ale clone…intrigued
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

On Tap:
Golden Monkey inspired Belgian ale w T58
Centennial IIPA (one keg DDH w Citra cryo the other with Centennial cryo hops)
Apfelwein

On Deck to brew:
Cascade APA
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.