Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What HOMEBREW are you drinking right now?

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So some of you know, I'm not the best brewer yet,

But about a year and a half ago, I made a batch of IPA with a premade kit (I forget the brand, but got it from Randy).

It was supposed to be a pale ale, but I added less water to boost the concentration. I dry-hopped it with willimettes, and well, never really liked it that much...until now...

Don't know what it is, but it's a really nice English IPA now. I'm a little shocked that over a year after making it, it's actually better than when I first tried it...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JeffPorter wrote:Don't know what it is, but it's a really nice English IPA now. I'm a little shocked that over a year after making it, it's actually better than when I first tried it...
that's why they say never to dump a batch if you don't have to. hide it away and try it occasionally... worst case it's still a drain pour, but quite often it develops into something else interesting - maybe not quite what you were aiming for, but still tasty. I've definitely had that experience with a batch or two that didn't wow be fresh but turned pretty awesome with time to mellow.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Zombie Dust clone

Well it smells really good. Taste is a bit weak and floral. Still haven't really figured out kegging yet, but hey, I'm happy with this.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

What recipe did you use for Zombie Dust clone?

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Kekumba wrote:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/three-f ... ne-303478/

No idea how accurate it is.
Personally I don't think Zombie Dust is all Citra anymore. I have gotten a much more similar hop profile with a 50/50 mix of Amarillo & Chinook.

Were I to brew this again I would do something like:

94% 2-row
6% Melanoiden

bitter with something clean @60 for about half the IBUs
2oz each Amarillo & Chinook at Flameout

Wyeast 1968

2 or 2.50z each amarillo & chinook dryhop

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Really enjoying the "American Tripel" I brewed last May. 2-row and 20% sugar, 9% abv, 40 ibu, a good bit of Simcoe and Citra at flameout, and 3787 yeast. Basically a Westmalle Tripel clone with American hop flavor. The hops and yeast integrate really nicely, can't tell which is which, glad I didn't dry hop it, or would have overpowered things.

Same with the big azz DIPA I brewed in early Nov. Tons of Chinook, Mosaic and Simcoe throughout, with some Amarillo added into the mix for dry hopping. 10% abv, but incredibly easy to drink. Fermented out nice and dry, but so much juicy hop oil, there is incredible mouthfeel and the impression of sweetness to balance.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Drinking my flanders red that was brewed October 2012. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out for a first attempt.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lambic L4, really happy with this batch

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Finally got to try my mild and galaxy pale ale.

The mild is what it is and turned out as proper. I like it but I'm going to tweak it for v2.

The galaxy though was really nice! Quite happy with that even if I wound up not dry-hopping it as planned. That'll be one of my summer 2015 beers. (I'm going to see if I can go May-Sept 2015 with homebrew pale ales and lagers only.)
lister

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

10 years ago today I did my first mash! I remember the brew day was almost 12 hrs long by the time I filtered 7 gallons with a Brita and got to work.

I was obsessed with sanitation as well, and I guess it payed off... I managed to save a couple bottles, and now 10 years later, this Belgian Dubbel still tastes great (and the peated malt is even more intertwined). It actually seems more like a scotch ale made with abbey yeast.

I've still got one more bottle... I should plan to share it in another 5 or 10 years!

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Drinking my way through the GTA Brews and SOB advent calendars. Tons of quality beers this year, even a few 40+ beers (in my mind). Only on day 13/24+ too!

We had one guy do a coffee stout with home roasted kona coffee. Incredible.

Homebrewers in the Toronto area seem to be making better beer all the time. The undrinkable beers are getting fewer and further between and the excellently balanced spot on beers with that intangible magic are much more common.

Great time to get into the hobby.

Feel free to join us if you are looking to connect with other homebrewers in the area:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GTA.Brews

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

While I'm impatiently waiting for blood oranges I picked up some honey tangerines and made a very nice honey tangerine pale ale. The fruit is there just enough to notice but not dominate while the hops sneak in at the end. I am very happy with this one. :D
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've been drinking up the mild I made a while back. To my surprise, I actually really like having a mild around and I crave it more than I did most beers I've made myself. I think I might have to make another batch.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

lister wrote:While I'm impatiently waiting for blood oranges I picked up some honey tangerines and made a very nice honey tangerine pale ale. The fruit is there just enough to notice but not dominate while the hops sneak in at the end. I am very happy with this one. :D
I'm looking forward to blood oranges too. What are you planning on making with them?