Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Headstrong Black & Tan

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Headstrong Black & Tan

Post by Gedge »

Picked one of these up today at the LCBO. Not bad at all - has a bit of the brown ale about it, with a hint of chocolate at the finish. Well worth $2.10 a can.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

grabbed one today too. it was pretty meh. it wasnt in anyway terrible but most of the flavour was grainy pale malt. i added it to ratebeer for those who are on that site.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

They really splurged on the packaging for this one. Probably the most sophisticated label I've ever seen. :lol:

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna give this one a taste tonight. I don't think it's Saranac Black & Tan under a different name, since that beer is a stout and amber lager (not pale ale) mix and has a lower ABV (5.1% instead of 5.5%). But it does look like Matt Brewing Company is making this beer, as the can says Utica, New York and Big Hole is based in Montana.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote: it was pretty meh. it wasn't terrible but most of the flavour was grainy pale malt.
Definitely agree with you. It's always great to see a new release, but this one misses the mark. Here's my review on BA (C+/3.2):

"473ml can from the LCBO. Brewed by Matt Brewing Company in Utica, New York for Big Hole Brewing (Belgrade, Montana). Pours dark ruby brown with two fingers of frothy beige head and a few spots of lacing on the pint glass. Smell and taste are floral and herbal hops, roasted barley, pale malts, mild grain/oat flavour, water, touch of fruitiness, and a tepid, wheat biscuit finish. Medium mouthfeel is smooth, low carbonation, spicy hop bite mid-body, dry and chalky aftertaste. Pretty standard offering, drinkable but boring. Not sure I'll buy this again."

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

cratez wrote:But it does look like Matt Brewing Company is making this beer, as the can says Utica, New York and Big Hole is based in Montana.
Yeah, Premier Brands has the rights to the Big Hole name for Canada, and they contract brew the beer at FX Matt (cans) and Grand River (draught).

It's an interesting branding situation, actually, as they originally got the license to brew & sell Headstrong Pale Ale, which was one of Big Hole's beers. But then they started to use the Headstrong name for other beers, like the Lager they were doing for a while, and this new Black & Tan, even though Big Hole themselves only used the Headstrong name of the one beer.

And there's also the twist that Big Hole doesn't even exist as a brewery anymore. There are still Big Hole beers being brewed in Montana, but by Madison River Brewing.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

GregClow wrote:
cratez wrote:But it does look like Matt Brewing Company is making this beer, as the can says Utica, New York and Big Hole is based in Montana.
Yeah, Premier Brands has the rights to the Big Hole name for Canada, and they contract brew the beer at FX Matt (cans) and Grand River (draught).

It's an interesting branding situation, actually, as they originally got the license to brew & sell Headstrong Pale Ale, which was one of Big Hole's beers. But then they started to use the Headstrong name for other beers, like the Lager they were doing for a while, and this new Black & Tan, even though Big Hole themselves only used the Headstrong name of the one beer.

And there's also the twist that Big Hole doesn't even exist as a brewery anymore. There are still Big Hole beers being brewed in Montana, but by Madison River Brewing.
greg, can you send the nessessary corrections to ratebeer? i added it to the site but im sure i made some mistakes

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/headstrong ... 428/54825/

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

matt7215 wrote:greg, can you send the nessessary corrections to ratebeer? i added it to the site but im sure i made some mistakes

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/headstrong ... 428/54825/
Yeah, you've got it entered as...

Matt Brewing Company
Brewed at Big Hole Brewing Company

...which would mean that Matt is the company that contracted Big Hole to brew the beer for them.

It should probably be entered simply with Matt listed as the brewer, as was done for the Lager:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/headstrong ... ger/57532/

I'll send a correction.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Tried a couple today...decent premium beer....tastes remarkably like Saranac Black&Tan.
Aventinus rules!

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

Not a bad brew at all. Although I quaffed a couple after a 2 hour battle with my hedges - even sleemans MIGHT have gone done well after that.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

An excellent mellow brew. Completely clean in flavour (no tell-tale oxidative or other off-flavours). Well done.

Gary
Gary Gillman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Just had a can of this. Not too bad for the price.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!