Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Michigan Weekend

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Michigan Weekend

Post by NRman »

I'm looking for feedback on our plan for this weekends beer procurement tour.

We are headed to Ypsilanti Saturday for the 13th Annual Summer Beer Festival in
Riverside Park.

http://www.michiganbrewersguild.org/events.asp

Apart from this, the detailed plan calls for:

Saturday:
Lunch at the Side track (across the river from the festival) for America's 19th best burger!?
Afternoon at the Beer Festival and
Evening at Jolly Pumpkin

Sunday
Our planned drive to Grand Rapids includes:
Dark Horse
Arcadia
Bells
Founders and
Hopcat for dinner and volume tastings to end the day!

Monday
Will be taken up with sleeping in, taking stock of our haul and crawling back to Waterloo. We're thinking about lunch or dinner in Port Huron at Quay Street Brewing www.quaybrewing.com Anybody been there? I saw one mention from Len in Jan.....

What did we miss?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Very Jealous...

Stopping at some bottle shops as well? (48 hrs = 24 bottles duty-free!)

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Derek wrote:Stopping at some bottle shops as well? (48 hrs = 24 bottles duty-free!)
Hopsolutely!
The 2 of us will each have 24 and I expect at least 24 more each depending on what we see..

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Well, I was just in Michigan the beginning of July, so I may be able to help seeing as I went to Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.

Sidetracks has great food, and quite a few good beers. We just passed through Ypsilanti, and actually went to sidetracks twice. Great Happy Hour deal too, between 4-6pm (I think), 25oz beer for i believe it was $2.90!!!

In Ann Arbor we went to Jolly Pumpkin which was great, and we went to a nice restaurant/bar called Ashley's, if you're looking for great beer, I'd definitely go here. The Ann Arbor location has over 70 taps, and a lot of bottles.

If you want a great bottle shop, Merchant's Fine Wine in Dearborn was fantastic, we stopped at Ryan's Party Store as well, but found selection and pricing better at Merchant's.

Here's a list of what was consumed on day one, between 2 of us (we were in Michigan July 5-7)

Sidetracks (we did flights here, so each beer was about 4oz)
Bells Oberon
Bells Two-Hearted Ale
Founders Reds Rye
Shorts Huma-Lupa-licious
Frog Island Amber Ale
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

Jolly Pumpkin
Bam Biere
Golden Manatee Belipago
Luciernaga
Calabaza Blanc
Oro de Calabaza
Bam Noire
Tortuga Ale Company chocolate stout

Ashley's Bar (these were all bottles, very hard to choose because of so many great options, some of the more rare bottles are quite pricey though.)
Dogfish Head Raison D'Extra
Stone-BrewDog-Cambridge Collaboration Juxtaposition
Kuhnhenn 4th Dementia
St. Bernardus ABT 12

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

First - thanks kish84 - Ashely's was a highlight!
And the Hopcat in Grand Rapids is worth the drive.

The festival was fascinating from a Canadian's perspective
- Over 9800 people in the park over the two days
- 400+ Michigan beers
- 54 brewers

A steamy hot day and a growing mud problem by 4pm inside some tents. The "swamp gas" smell was a bit off-putting in some corners of the park but always overpowered by some fanatasic beers. We tried over 30 beers and never actually used more than a few of the 15 tokens each - no one seemed to care.

As an OCB drinker it seems to me this is what Session could have been from an attendance perspective. The product here in Ontario is just as good. I don't have any answers but it seems to me we should be able to have something similar here.....maybe in a few years.

The OCB might consider investing in a face to face with the Michigan Brewers Guild and have a discussion on lessons learned over 13 years of running a major festival like this? I'll drive!

Well done Michigan!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Having just returned from a Michigan weekend, being much smarter this time, thanks to all who steered me correctly.

I noticed that Kroeger and Meijer stores, maybe not all, seem to have a great craft section now. I dont know whether its a summer thing or what, of course Walmart sucks.

I saw:

Stone
Bell's
Atwater
Shorts
Michigan Brewing Company
Great Lakes
Founders
Leinenkugel
Flying Dog
Magic Hat
One from Rochester NY maybe Roc?

Many different varieties and many 12 bottle samplers. Never saw this before, usually had to go to a specialty store.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Some of the North Peak brewing stuff is being bottled now, and isn't too bad at all.