Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sneaky Dees

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Sneaky Dees

Post by JesseMcG »

I did the hipster thing last night and had a bite to eat at Sneaky Dees before going to El Mocambo to see a band I like play.

Sneaky Dees has Cool, Buzz, Keiths, and fucking Grand River Hannenberg Pils. Haha!

Guess what I had? It was very nice.

I had a couple Labatt 50s at El Mo for old time sake... thin mouth feel but I swear I could taste/smell the hops.... I honestly enjoyed them (as much as one could).

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I was shocked a couple weeks ago when I went there and noticed the same thing. Like you, I obviously chose the Hannenberg, but I wasn't as lucky as you were. Tit was slightly stale, and tasting a touch dirty. I've had the beer before and it's been fine and flavourful, so I chalk it up to the likely less than stellar line maintenance at Sneaky Dee's, or perhaps slow sales due to lack of hipster brand identification. Regardless, I wouldn't hesitate to order it there again, and even in its less than optimal state, it was still a better quaff than any of the other options on tap. Sneaky Disease is no longer a place to be avoided at all costs, and if dragged there, at least all is not lost. Still, eat there at your own risk, and no matter how drunk you are, or how good they may look, never, ever order the nachos.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseMcG wrote:I did the hipster

You don't want to do that too often.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:Sneaky Disease is no longer a place to be avoided at all costs.
Been there once in last 22 years. It made an impression. 8) I think I'd rather order a dodgy Gyros from some wreck of a Turkish place than anything they sell at Sneaky's.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Dee's was a always fun destination during by university years way back when and I'm glad it's still being enjoyed. I haven't been for a couple of years but nice to hear it's still holding up.

It's been around way longer than today's hipsters have which is a testament to the place. It might be dirty but that's the point, there's lots of 'clean' bars for people to go to! :-)

They used to keep a 'dark' beer on tap, something like Waterloo Dark in the old days. Good to see Hannenberg but no dice anymore on the dark.

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Had the king's crown nachos many times at 4am in the late 90s when I lived down on Palmerston. They were delicious! I think.
Loved that place though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote: They used to keep a 'dark' beer on tap, something like Waterloo Dark in the old days. Good to see Hannenberg but no dice anymore on the dark.
Is Waterloo Dark a beer? Urban survival guide: do not order LooWater Dark!
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'm so old that I remember when Dee's was up at Bloor & Bathurst.

And I also remember when what is now the upstairs at Dee's was a bar called Club Cariboo. It didn't last very long, but I recall that the music was really good, and they had Labatt IPA in fancy embossed bottles...

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

GregClow wrote:I'm so old that I remember when Dee's was up at Bloor & Bathurst.
That was the first "real" bar I ever drank at with my shiny, new Yonge St. headshop fake I.D.! Before that, we just went to the Menalon on Bloor at Christie Pits for 60 cent drafts.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Dude, it's trendy downtown Toronto... your health is at risk just sitting there. You might catch some hipster.

Regardless, it's a fun venue and Tank House for 3 bucks is pretty good.

If your desperate to be picky about beer, the Cloak and Dagger is across the street. Try the deep-fried mars-bar or pickles, then reconsider the quality of nachos at Dee's.

I've had a lot of fun shows at Dee's.
There are worse places.

Korova Milk Bar is a cool spot just west of bathurst on college. Last time I was there it was all Flying Monkey's on tap, but the patio in the summer is awesome. Menu looks good and cool artsy - hip shows upstairs.
The name alone is amazing.
enjoi

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

LOL, relativism strikes again.
bartle wrote: Dude, it's trendy downtown Toronto... your health is at risk just sitting there. You might catch some hipster.

Tank House for 3 bucks

I've had a lot of fun shows at Dee's.
There are worse places...
And I've had enough food poisoning at Toronto places! ;) Thousands of nights out in this town does make one a tad leery... especially of places that are extremely relaxed in their appearance. Fair enough I think.

Really, I would not be too UN-picky about 'all' downtown Toronto - neither would I classify them all in the same old oozing, septic Toronto dumpster. This would be a great insult to establishments with more mature-minded standards.

And just to show you I'm not some inflexible old goat I WILL soon go get a three-dollar Mill Street at Dee's. Worth checking up on all these places. ;) I keep an open mind (and charcoal tablets.)
In Beerum Veritas

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

As some of you may know, I moonlight as a bouncer at Sneaky Dee's. I've been talking to the one of the owners about Craft Beer for the past few months and I've been getting him to drink some craft beer from the US. As a result Sneaky Dee's is going to be starting to carry some craft beer. As of tomorrow Red Racer will be available at $6 a can.

If this sells well, I can get them to carry more/better selection, so spread the word.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

cool...I love that dirty grimy bastard of a place...Im in for red racer at $6..can they get anything awesome on tap?

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I'm working on that right now!

I have one brewer in particular I want them to start pouring, and I think it's going to be much easier for me if the Red Racer does well. This is really a pilot for them that they under took after much nagging and threats of grievous bodily harm.

Cool brewing is always going to be there, because we get customers who just want something cheap, but I was told that they have no problem putting something nice up there next to it.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

You're a good man...I take back all those bad things I said about when you weren't around...two words for you smash bomb...