Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Triple Rappist

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Triple Rappist

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Currently at Duggan's, this is a letter perfect Trappist-style amber ale with bubble gum, woody, yeasty, hoppy and malty notes. It reminds me of Chimay Rouge (despite the name) of 20 years ago. Really lovely natural product. I also sampled the German pils, which was served water-clear as I like it and while well made, earlier brewings seemed more distinctive to me. I saw a stout served - didn't try it - that looked really good too.

By the way the beers were all drawn quickly and without the need to let the head subside in pitchers first, I think they've solved those early service issues.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gillman

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Is that what they're calling it, Triple Trappist? :-?
Here's to the slow path.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Wheatsheaf wrote:Is that what they're calling it, Triple Trappist? :-?
I wondered that, isn't the Trappist organization very defensive about the "appelation" aspect of the term? Brooklyn got slapped down for just putting the distinctive ring on their bottles

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... -a-bottle/
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

phirleh wrote:
I wondered that, isn't the Trappist organization very defensive about the "appelation" aspect of the term? Brooklyn got slapped down for just putting the distinctive ring on their bottles

Maybe in Canada we are somehow expemt from International Trademarking laws. After all, if Duggan's #9 was sold stateside, the good people at Magic Hat would have shut that down a long time ago...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
phirleh wrote:

Maybe in Canada we are somehow expemt from International Trademarking laws.
No, I suspect it's more that a beer available only on tap at a brewpub for a couple of weeks is too small to have been noticed by the International Trappist Association.

If Duggan's tried to bottle it and sell it province-wide, I imagine they'd run into some problems. And rightfully so, as "Trappist" has a very distinct meaning when it comes to beer, and using it in the name of the beer no matter how widely it's available is a bit misleading.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Actually it wasn't called that, I realise now. It said on the blackboard, Triple Rappist (really). I assumed it was a spelling error or the "t" erased by accident but I see now it was intentional perhaps because of this issue (which I hadn't realised before). And I said in my original post it is in the Trappist style (or such is my opinion), I didn't say it was a Trappist beer.

Again, it is Triple Rappist. I've corrected the title of this thread.

Gary
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

G.M. Gillman wrote:Actually it wasn't called that, I realise now. It said on the blackboard, Triple Rappist (really).
:o oooh I think he might run into more trouble with that name than the other
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JK

Post by JK »

icemachine wrote:
G.M. Gillman wrote:Actually it wasn't called that, I realise now. It said on the blackboard, Triple Rappist (really).
I agree but why not go for 4 and make a decent Quad

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

I don't see why in the least. And I obviously knew the beer was brewed by the brewpub.

I'd be interested in comments on the palate of this beer from anyone who has tried it. I have tried to draw attention to a well-made beer from one of our local brewpubs.

Gary
Gary Gillman

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:
Well, it could be worse...

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I know a guy who was a Triple Rappist. He's in and out of pprison.

Edit: Also the name of the Beastie Boys next album.
saintjohnswort.ca

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm not sure if I had the dubbel or tripel in August... Either way, I liked it, but would've called it a Grand Cru.

It was big & bold and could've used some time to mellow. It wasn't as 'digestible' as some Belgian Ales, but a VERY pleasant sipper. Something I'd have on it's own in the evening, rather than with a meal.

I miss their curry poutine.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Triple Rappist? yeah, that name goes over quite well..........like this name.......

Sodomic Anality Rappist
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Made by Artisanalrappist Brewers.

Don't leave them alone with your pets! :o
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Move over, Tripel Ename, we have a new winner.
Here's to the slow path.