Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kichesippi Beer Company is set to purchase Heritage Brewing

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

codfishh

Kichesippi Beer Company is set to purchase Heritage Brewing

Post by codfishh »

Good news for Kichesippi, and potentially very good news for the heritage brands.

http://www.bartowel.com/board/login.php ... topic&f=16

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

that link doesnt seem to be working, does anyone have more info on this?

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Hmm. I think I'll go meddle in their affairs a little. Maybe see if we can get Tsarina Katrina back.
Last edited by saints_gambit on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saintjohnswort.ca

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

Try this link see if it works any better.

http://bit.ly/fDfsgo

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Intersting, although I am curious how it will work with one small brewery basically having three separate brands.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

codfishh wrote:Try this link see if it works any better.

http://bit.ly/fDfsgo
works fine, thx for posting

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

This is good news I think. Kichessippi has made some inroads into the Ottawa market in a short amount of time with a single well made product and good marketing & sales. I wish the new owners well.

Hopefully a re-branding exercise is in order for the brands they acquire. The current Scotch Irish / Heritage beers have the shelf appeal of a feathered hat.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Ralphus wrote: The current Scotch Irish / Heritage beers have the shelf appeal of a feathered hat.
As well as the staying power of a virgin premature ejaculator.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

An interesting addendum to this:

After my post on Canadian Beer News where I indicated that the brewery would continue producing the Heritage and Scotch-Irish brands, Paul Meek of Kichesippi contacted me to let clarify that the S-I brands were NOT included in the sale, and he's not sure what will be happening with them.

So I guess whatever S-I stock is out in the stores is the last we'll be seeing for a while - or maybe the last, period.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Cool news and good for Kichesippi, but I do hope some of the S-I recipes are picked up/kept around. I really like getting fresh Bitter Brown from the brewery and the RIS is a tasty beer I look forward to each fall. ...Maybe Kichesippi plans on releasing their own line of ales?

I'll have to drop by the brewery when I'm back in Ottawa over exmus and see if I can chat them up a bit.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Another update: The Ottawa Business Journal has spoken to both Paul Meek and Ron Moir about the sale, and Moir has confirmed that he and Donna Warner have retained ownership of the Scotch-Irish brands, and intend to continue brewing the beers at the Heritage facility on a contract basis.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/2010-12-10/arti ... -Brewing/1

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

The S-I brands are the only ones worth keeping IMO. And even then they need some tweaking.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JesseM wrote:
Ralphus wrote: The current Scotch Irish / Heritage beers have the shelf appeal of a feathered hat.
As well as the staying power of a virgin premature ejaculator.
and the shelf life of a snow cone

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

The interesting thing about this is that Heritage/SI is a company with a bunch of beer styles that didn't really seem to be all that interested in doing any promotion (they didn't even take part in Ontario Craft Beer Week and there website doesn't even tell you what bars serve their beer). On the flip side Kichesippi is a company with a single product and following them on Facebook, for a new company they do a ton of promotion. I will be interested in seeing how those two business styles mix.

Now if they can get the consistency issues cleared up that would be even better, since I can remember going to a couple of Heritage seasonal launch parties, trying the seasonal on tap and really loving it, then buying a few bottles and taking them home and have them actually taste like a different product when I opened them up.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:The interesting thing about this is that Heritage/SI is a company with a bunch of beer styles that didn't really seem to be all that interested in doing any promotion (they didn't even take part in Ontario Craft Beer Week and there website doesn't even tell you what bars serve their beer). On the flip side Kichesippi is a company with a single product and following them on Facebook, for a new company they do a ton of promotion. I will be interested in seeing how those two business styles mix.

Now if they can get the consistency issues cleared up that would be even better, since I can remember going to a couple of Heritage seasonal launch parties, trying the seasonal on tap and really loving it, then buying a few bottles and taking them home and have them actually taste like a different product when I opened them up.
the problem at the heritage site seems to be somewhere in their bottling line. ive scoured the reviews of their products and there are very few negative comments on their brews when kegged but bottles seem to be hit and miss,