Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kichesippi Beer Company is set to purchase Heritage Brewing

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Kel Varnsen wrote:As far as killing brands goes, it doesn't really bother me that much since I would rather a brewery produce a few really good consistent beers than a ton of beers that are really hit or miss in terms of quality.

True, and I agree. I will be sad if the Sgt Major, Corporal Punishment and Stuart's don't come back though. Sgt Maj is still in stock in the LCBO, so maybe they're still making it? Or they just had a lot of stock at the brewery.

I'm also disappointed because I just can't get excited about another brewer starting off with a lager. It seems everyone makes that as their first beer, and I've never found a lager I've really enjoyed.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

carguy wrote:Speaking of such, I purchased a John By Imperial Stout the other day, and it was completely undrinkable. Horribly infected. Hopefully, this is addressed as well.
That's easy, they just drop it from the line-up. ;)

notdan

Post by notdan »

Had a pint of Natural Blonde at the Atomic Rooster last night and was pretty impressed (in that it was more flavourful than I was expecting). Light caramel sweetness and plenty citrus hop flavour, slightly bitter finish. Reminded me a bit of St-Ambroise Pale Ale. Will definitely be a good summer beer. Looking forward to trying the 1855 and anything else they come out with (perhaps they'll fix up and rebrand Sgt Major...?).

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Anyone know where I can find the Dark on tap in Ottawa? I will be in town in two weeks.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

E-mail the brewery. I know they have a photo of all the places that carry their beer on their facebook page but not sure if every place is carrying both beers. I was just in there today to pick up a growler of both.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

What's the design/logo on the growler? Are the designs different for the Dark and the Blonde?

I really like the simple k logo.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Same logo. Marketing collar on a string around the Blonde and handwritten 1855 and date poured on both.

jpm

Post by jpm »

ErkLR wrote: True, and I agree. I will be sad if the Sgt Major, Corporal Punishment and Stuart's don't come back though. Sgt Maj is still in stock in the LCBO, so maybe they're still making it? Or they just had a lot of stock at the brewery.

I'm also disappointed because I just can't get excited about another brewer starting off with a lager. It seems everyone makes that as their first beer, and I've never found a lager I've really enjoyed.
ErkLR - my name is Paul Meek and my wife and I are the owners of Kichesippi Beer Co. Here is an update for you:

Sgt. Major - there is still some good stock quantities of this beer left in the LCBO stores. You are likely to see a stock out at some point as we are working on rebranding this liquid. As for Corporal Punishment and Stuart's, these are on the back burner for now

As for the lager, we currently don't brew any lagers. Kichesippi Natural Blonde is a Pale Ale ( 4.9% Alc and 28 IBU's). Kichesippi 1855 is our new dark ale that we launched on April 15th (5.2%a Alc and 25 IBU's). Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer for you

jpm

Post by jpm »

JerCraigs wrote:Anyone know where I can find the Dark on tap in Ottawa? I will be in town in two weeks.
You can find the 1855 at:

Johnny Farina
Arc the Hotel
Black Tomato - later this week
Pub Italia
BIN790
Swan at Carp
Arrow and Loon
Zen Kitchen
Alpha Soul Cafe
B/Sides
Rochester Pub
Pub Italia - later this week
The Branch

The list will likely change before you get to town so your best bet is the facebook page for updates.

jpm

Post by jpm »

Sorry for the multiple postings but I couldn't figure out how to do multiple quotes in the same posting. Here are some more updates that will hopefully answer some things:

Wheat beer - we have no current plans to brew a Wheat Beer. The Wheat Beer in our fridge is the Alkoholfrei version from Erdinger that we enjoy from time to time over lunch.

Bottles - we will be installing a new bottling line in about a week. Our Production Manager was not comfortable with the existing bottling line so we will be bringing in something else in order to launch the Kichesippi Natural Blonde bottles.

Thanks for all of the interest and discussion regarding our products.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

jpm wrote:
Bottles - we will be installing a new bottling line in about a week. Our Production Manager was not comfortable with the existing bottling line so we will be bringing in something else in order to launch the Kichesippi Natural Blonde bottles.
great news

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

jpm wrote:
ErkLR wrote: True, and I agree. I will be sad if the Sgt Major, Corporal Punishment and Stuart's don't come back though. Sgt Maj is still in stock in the LCBO, so maybe they're still making it? Or they just had a lot of stock at the brewery.

ErkLR - my name is Paul Meek and my wife and I are the owners of Kichesippi Beer Co. Here is an update for you:

Sgt. Major - there is still some good stock quantities of this beer left in the LCBO stores. You are likely to see a stock out at some point as we are working on rebranding this liquid. As for Corporal Punishment and Stuart's, these are on the back burner for now

As for the lager, we currently don't brew any lagers. Kichesippi Natural Blonde is a Pale Ale ( 4.9% Alc and 28 IBU's). Kichesippi 1855 is our new dark ale that we launched on April 15th (5.2%a Alc and 25 IBU's). Please let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer for you
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm glad you're continuing with Sgt Major (a beer by any other name...). I don't know why I remembered the Blonde being a lager. I always like to try a new dark ale, I hope your distribution makes it down to London.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Hopefully the new bottling line helps improve the quality control issues that the Heritage brewery has faced in the past. Gushers have been all too common.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

According to their twitter feed, the new bottling line has arrived and hopefully bottles will be coming out of there soon.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Just read about the 613 IPA for the first time here: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Beer+ ... story.html

Is this basically a rebrand of Sgt. Major or something new entirely?

Will there be lots available at the brewery? I might try to come by Sunday in the late afternoon or after work some day next week.