Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2010 in review

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

2010 in review

Post by Bobsy »

Surely we are long overdue one of those year end wrap-up posts? Here's a few questions to see what you thought of 2010 as far as beer was concerned. Feel free to add any more insights or oppinions you had on a soon to be departed 2010.

Favourite beer of 2010:

Most purchased beer of 2010:

Best LCBO release:

Favourite brewery of 2010:

Favourite event of 2010:

Best new thing to happen in 2010:

Who deserves more recognition:

I'll start things off...

Favourite beer of 2010: Cantillon Fou' Foune

Most purchased beer of 2010: Southern Tier IPA. Its still the only consistently available American-style IPA.

Best LCBO release: Ola Dubh 40, though for value the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout cannot be beaten.

Favourite brewery of 2010: Cantillon - so many great ones this year... Mamouche, Fou 'Foune, Cuvee des Champions, Vigneronne, Lou Pepe Kriek, Lou Pepe Framboise, Lou Pepe Geuze...

Favourite event of 2010: Mondial de la Biere. This was my first time and I got to try some great brews and meet some great people. Plus Schwartz's, satellite events and DDC.

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Toronto Beer Week - Brew Dog dinner was awesome, and I really enjoyed the C'est What fest going over two days.

Who deserves more recognition: Great Lakes - they already get a lot of praise, but I think the work thet've done with their one-offs and casks is something special.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Favourite beer of 2010: Howe Sound King Heffy

Most purchased beer of 2010: Pike's XXXXX Stout

Best LCBO release: Agree with Bobsy, Black Chocolate Stout

Favourite brewery of 2010: Howe Sound followed closely by Alley Kat

Favourite event of 2010: My 40th trip to Portland & Walking Man Brewpub, and meeting my friends from Toronto who travelled across to help me drink

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Toronto Beer Week, and long may it continue and grow. Plus, Cask Ale being served in Edmonton on a regular basis, and continuing to expand

Who deserves more recognition:
Last edited by Torontoblue on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Favourite beer of 2010: Three Floyds Bohem. Barleywine

Most purchased beer of 2010: Wernesgruner

Best LCBO release: Fall 2010

Favourite brewery of 2010: Flying Monkeys

Favourite event of 2010: DDC evening at Chancey Smith's

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Chancey Smith's Getting a GTA

Who deserves more recognition: Gary at Gary's Mattress
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Favourite beer of 2010: Probably Bruery's Black Tuesday, hard to measure it against anything but it was truly fantastic despite the hype.

Most purchased beer of 2010: Toss up between Black Oak's Ten Bitter Years and Creemore's Keller - both really drinkable.

Best LCBO release: The March release of St. Ambroise's RIS - really nice beer, glad we got some of the limited release.

Favourite brewery of 2010: Tough call. Going to go with Trois Mousquetaires because this year I had a good # of their beers and there was some really fantastic offerings at a reasonable price.

Favourite event of 2010: C'Est What Cask fest, always a good time and good value.

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Better LCBO seasonal releases.

Who deserves more recognition: Those who get recognition deserve it, those who don't, don't. If anything, here in Ontario we have 'over appreciated' brewers...

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

Favourite beer of 2010: St-Ambroise Citrouille

Most purchased beer of 2010: Flying Monkeys' Hoptical Illusion.

Best LCBO release: DDC Aphrodite

Favourite brewery of 2010: Flying Monkeys

Favourite event of 2010: N/A didn't go to any :(

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Smash Bomb

Who deserves more recognition: no idea.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Favourite beer of 2010: Fantôme Printemps

Most purchased beer of 2010: i actually have no idea, Pilsner Urquell??

Best LCBO release: winter

Favourite brewery of 2010: Jolly Pumpkin

Favourite event of 2010: Cask Days West @ Grand River Brewing

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Cask Days West @ Grand River Brewing

Who deserves more recognition: the whole crew at volo for their bar, import company and nano brewery

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Great topic Bobsy.

Favourite beer of 2010: New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red, had it again for the first time in a few years and it's still one of my faves all-time.

Most purchased beer of 2010: Likely a combo of ST IPA/Anchor Steam & Brooklyn Lager.

Best LCBO release: Garrison Imperial IPA, of course :-)

Favourite brewery of 2010: Probably Three Floyd's, solely based upon my first visit there this year.

Favourite event of 2010: Craft Brewers Conference in Chicago.

Best new thing to happen in 2010: LCBO's Brewery Feature program is pretty cool.

Who deserves more recognition: The Bar Towel community, thanks for making this what it is!

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Great topic.

Favorite beer of 2010 = Pliny The Elder

Most purchased beer of 2010 = probably Pilsner Urquell

Best LCBO release = St. Bernardus if it comes, BBCS otherwise

Favorite Brewery of 2010 = tie: Bear Republic and Great Divide

Favorite event of 2010 = Mondial de la bier

Best new thing to happen in 2010 = Utopias lottery. It's an innovative idea which should be considered for other high demand releases.

Who deserves more recognition = Wellington Brewery. Had some Iron Duke last night. Those guys don't get the props they deserve for some of their beers.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Favourite beer of 2010: Tie between Hopslam & KBS.

Most purchased beer of 2010: GL Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

Best LCBO release: Peche Mortel

Favourite brewery of 2010: Founders

Favourite event of 2010: Hart House Craft Beer & BBQ in July.

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Toronto Beer Week (although I was unable to attend any events)

Who deserves more recognition: Flying Monkeys, for pushing the boundaries and creating some great new brews that are or will be accessible to all (Netherworld, Smash Bomb)

teichertbier

Post by teichertbier »

Favourite beer of 2010: Cantillon Kriek

Most purchased beer of 2010: Peche Mortel & Orval

Best LCBO release: DDC Brewery Feature

Favourite brewery of 2010: Les Trois Mousquetaires

Favourite event of 2010: Mondial

Best new thing to happen in 2010: TBW Homebrew Contest!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Favorite Beer of 2010: Red Racer IPA

Most Purchased Beer of 2010: I have beer ADD.. . Creemore Pilsner?

Best LCBO Release: DDC Focus

Favorite Brewery of 2010: Great Lakes (Ontario)

Favorite Event of 2010: Beau's Oktoberfest. I wasn't there but heard it was very well run this time around.

Best New Thing to Happen in 2010: Kichessippi launches, buys Heritage Brewery 6 months later.

Who deserves more recognition: HMH Negotiants for bringing in great products on time. Nice work!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Favourite beer of 2010: Russian River Sanctification

Most purchased beer of 2010: Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch. I bought a case.

Best LCBO release: Ola Dubh

Favourite brewery of 2010: Russian River.

Favourite event of 2010: Nothing stands out. Wish I could have been in TO for beer week.

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Marcos losing market share/craft making big gains. This was the first year I noticed Canadian craft beer in the public consciousness beyond just my beer geek friends.

Who deserves more recognition: Craft breweries that put their heart and soul into making super flavourful, sessionable beers you would want to drink everyday. I'm not talking about bland gateway beers. I'm talking about finely designed, exquisitely balanced beers of average alcohol that are absolutely perfect for what they are.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Favourite beer of 2010: Westvleteren 12

Most purchased beer of 2010: Hoptical Illusion

Best LCBO release: DDC Feature

Favourite brewery of 2010: Gouden Carolous

Favourite event of 2010: Session: A Craft Beer Festival; shame about the weekend it happened on

Best new thing to happen in 2010: Toronto Beer Week

Who deserves more recognition: Jed Corbeil
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

icemachine wrote:Who deserves more recognition: Jed Corbeil
Holy crap yes! If anyone is ever anywhere near Bracebrige, check out the Griffin! Awesome guy, one of the highlights of my year befriending him and his family.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

OK I agree with so much of the above, I'm just gonna nod a bunch and add that the best thing I did this year was go to Montreal three times with countless bar visits.

I think last year the best thing was going to countless NYC bars and Coles Buffalo a bunch of times, so we're onto something good here.

And is it me or is beer getting much, much better at our own doorstep? People like Ralph and Cass and Roland-Russel, all the great brewers, all the great initiatives and events - we have finally eclipsed the old days of Red Baron and infected Upper Canada being 'the really good stuff.' And Towel has made a lot of people go out seeking beer and this helped make the new Ontario reality happen. Ra ra ra...
In Beerum Veritas