Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weyermann Abbey Malt

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Weyermann Abbey Malt

Post by cannondale »

Specifications:

Raw Material Source: Two-row spring barley (2009 harvest)

Product Characteristics: High degree of modification of both proteins and starches. Excellent friability. Low β-glucan values. Highly acidic. Highly malt-aromatic. Adds deep-amber to red-brown color, maltiness, body, and mouthfeel to finished beer. Promotes flavor stability.

Recommended Quantities:Up to 50% of total grain bill

Suitability (beer styles): Traditional Abbey Beers, Trapist Beers, Belge Specialty Beers. Blonde, Bruin Festival Beers, Amber, Ale, Faro, Fruit Beers

Moisture content: max. 4.5%
Extract (dry basis): min. 75.0%
Wort color: 40-50 EBC
Wort color: 16-19 °L

Anyone have experience with this malt? In particular, as a large part of the grist. I'm thinking of using as 30-45% for an abbey ale. The grains themselves look, smell and taste a lot more along the lines of a cross between Dingemans biscuit and aromatic malts, i.e. specialty malt.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I was planning to brew an abbey style this spring, with about 50% MO, 30% Abbey and and 20% Pale Wheat. Please keep this thread updated with what you do find.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I have a bag of the Abbey malt but I haven't had a chance to brew with it yet. Looking forward to trying it out soon.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Gedge wrote:I have a bag of the Abbey malt but I haven't had a chance to brew with it yet. Looking forward to trying it out soon.
Have you brewed with it yet Gedge? I find it to produce a very biscuity beer.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cannondale wrote:Have you brewed with it yet Gedge? I find it to produce a very biscuity beer.
Based on the description, I am not surprised. No way in hell I'd use up to 50%.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

markaberrant wrote:
cannondale wrote:Have you brewed with it yet Gedge? I find it to produce a very biscuity beer.
Based on the description, I am not surprised. No way in hell I'd use up to 50%.
I'll have to check my notes, but I believe I used it at around 33% in an abbey single, and I don't recommend going any higher than that for for a light to medium bodied beer. 50% would be liquid bread crust.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I'd probably start at 10%, maybe 20%

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Any recent experience with this stuff?

I'm planning a quad... maybe 15% abbey, with some special B & candi syrup as well.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Derek wrote:Any recent experience with this stuff?

I'm planning a quad... maybe 15% abbey, with some special B & candi syrup as well.
in my time in Belgium, i never saw a brewery that used abbey malt. not saying to not use it, but just something to consider when making a recipe.