Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Longo's: Maple Leaf Square

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

strowlands8

Longo's: Maple Leaf Square

Post by strowlands8 »

Don't know if any one has ever checked out the Longo's grocery store across from the ACC. But beside from being a decent grocery store they actually have a bar inside with some decent craft beer. I was there the other week with my dad and they had Grand River Plowmans, Black Oak Pale Ale, a Granite Brewery beer, Stonehammer Pilsner and a few other Ontario craft beers. I was pretty surprised about this but it was really cool the way they had it set up. I mean by any means it is not a craft beer destination but a cool place to check out and grab a cheap bite and a good beer if you are in the area. Definitely recommend checking it out.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

A bar in a grocery store? Now I've heard everything. I was actually in that Longo's not too long ago and somehow missed it. Guess I'll be doing my shopping there from now on! If only we could carry our beers down the aisles while trying to decide what cereal to get.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Monday through Wednesday there's a special on for $10 for a pizza and a pint.
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

strowlands8 wrote:Don't know if any one has ever checked out the Longo's grocery store across from the ACC. But beside from being a decent grocery store they actually have a bar inside with some decent craft beer. I was there the other week with my dad and they had Grand River Plowmans, Black Oak Pale Ale, a Granite Brewery beer, Stonehammer Pilsner and a few other Ontario craft beers. I was pretty surprised about this but it was really cool the way they had it set up. I mean by any means it is not a craft beer destination but a cool place to check out and grab a cheap bite and a good beer if you are in the area. Definitely recommend checking it out.
Cass or Greg mentioned this place in another thread, but I couldn't find it in a quick search
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

icemachine wrote:Cass or Greg mentioned this place in another thread, but I couldn't find it in a quick search
Must have been a very quick search; it's on page 2 of Good Pub Reviews. :wink:
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6022

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

strowlands8 wrote: They had Grand River Plowmans, Black Oak Pale Ale, a Granite Brewery beer, Stonehammer Pilsner and a few other Ontario craft beers...I mean by any means it is not a craft beer destination...
A bar with 7 or so craft taps (by the sounds of it) isn't considered a destination? That's news to me.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The Granite has usually been the Irish Stout.

They also have bottles too. There was at least one bottle of something from Grand River that we don't see around the GTA. The name escapes me at the moment.

I made the suggestion about getting at least one rotating seasonal in and that may be up for consideration.

Like another poster I wish I could wander the supermarket with a glass of beer in hand. *sigh* Oh well, at least I get to have that sort of fun when in Taiwan...
lister

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Also the beer is very reasonably priced, there's free wifi, you can order meat and cheese boards etc too from the bar. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable. There's a 'no tipping' sign but please ignore that. Longos accounting system is not set up for gratuities and the staff would greatly appreciate tips. I've been going for a few months now and I love it. It's Torontos best kept secret!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."