Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Detroit

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Looks like I might get in a night in Detroit this weekend…found this which doesn't look like it was mentioned before - Jolly Pumpkin opened a pub in downtown Detroit. Gotta check this out!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /25524071/

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... /70435692/

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Cass wrote:Looks like I might get in a night in Detroit this weekend…found this which doesn't look like it was mentioned before - Jolly Pumpkin opened a pub in downtown Detroit. Gotta check this out!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /25524071/

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... /70435692/

Yeah it's really nice. In fact that street is so nice it doesn't even feel like you're in Detroit. Probably one of the most gentrified streets downtown considering it was skid row 10 years ago. Pizza is delicious too, and you can buy special releases there.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Quick update, lots of new things happening here.

Jolly Pumpkin, good enough for Obama. ;)
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... oits-jolly

Stopped at Hopcat on Sunday for brunch. Had been to the Grand Rapids location a couple times but for whatever reason took me a year to hit the Detroit spot. Awesome space. Great tunes. Great brunch. 130 taps. No need to go anywhere else. Place got really busy at 11am on a Sunday.

8 Degrees Plato - new bottle shop in midtown (near JP and Hopcat). Main location is in Ferndale. They have a nice tap selection (had Black Agnes, Hopslam, and other cool locals) and allow drinking AND shopping. Great for Canadians who want to make a quick run over the border without having to head to Royal Oak or Troy. Also great location if you are just heading to a game or concert downtown.

Only downside is exchange rate. But selection makes the trip worthwhile.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I was in Detroit last weekend for the auto show. Had Slows BBQ for lunch - highly recommended. Solid beer selection and amazing food. 8 degrees Plato was impressive as well. Good selection, awesome knowledgeable staff. There was even a bottle of Fou 'Foune I spotted (which was reserved for someone) but they said that Cantillon may be hitting their shelves from time to time in the future. I was going to try get to the new Jolly Pumpkin location as well but ran out of day.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

May check out 8 degrees this coming week. I head over to Detroit / Ann Arbor area every now and then. The craft beer scene in Michigan is pretty insane.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

distr0 wrote:I was in Detroit last weekend for the auto show. Had Slows BBQ for lunch - highly recommended. Solid beer selection and amazing food. 8 degrees Plato was impressive as well. Good selection, awesome knowledgeable staff. There was even a bottle of Fou 'Foune I spotted (which was reserved for someone) but they said that Cantillon may be hitting their shelves from time to time in the future. I was going to try get to the new Jolly Pumpkin location as well but ran out of day.
Wait, wat? They had Fou and had it on hold for someone?
Interesting. Was this at the Detroit 8 Degrees or Ferndale location? They've told me in the Detroit shop they don't hold beers.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

FEUO wrote:
distr0 wrote:I was in Detroit last weekend for the auto show. Had Slows BBQ for lunch - highly recommended. Solid beer selection and amazing food. 8 degrees Plato was impressive as well. Good selection, awesome knowledgeable staff. There was even a bottle of Fou 'Foune I spotted (which was reserved for someone) but they said that Cantillon may be hitting their shelves from time to time in the future. I was going to try get to the new Jolly Pumpkin location as well but ran out of day.
Interesting. Was this at the Detroit 8 Degrees or Ferndale location? They've told me in the Detroit shop they don't hold beers.
It was Detroit, I think he said it was on hold for an event/tasting that someone in the area was putting on. They had one case (6 bottles) come in, and that was the last one.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

distr0 wrote:
FEUO wrote:
It was Detroit, I think he said it was on hold for an event/tasting that someone in the area was putting on. They had one case (6 bottles) come in, and that was the last one.
Hmm.... welp, I didn't hear about it on social media (which is a good thing) and they never mentioned it to me. Thats fine. I guess I don't spend enough time or money there. :roll:

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Just posted about winning Fou on their facebook.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

DeMarco wrote:Just posted about winning Fou on their facebook.
Ferndale location only. Sadly.

The Ferndale shop and the Detroit shop are in different counties and have some different distributors for certain things.

Its entirely possible that no Cantillon is available in Wayne County. But I will inquire out of curiosity.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

When you heading back to the D? Saw JP has Rojzilla again.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

DeMarco wrote:When you heading back to the D? Saw JP has Rojzilla again.
I was over on Sunday. Picked up the other 2 JP's (collabs with Evil Twin and Mikkeller).
Had a pour of the blend of both called Hamajang which may be put into bottles.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

DeMarco wrote:Just posted about winning Fou on their facebook.
Update: 8 Degrees Plato in Detroit has Cantillon and Drie Fontenein.

Very limited. 1 bottle of either, not both.
Who knows how often they will get them.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

^ See, I wasn't lying! :D

JP 'Some of My Best Friends are Pinchadiscos' (collab with Stillwater) was delicious as well. Didn't see bottles anywhere but had it on tap at Slows