Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo Beer Run!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beer-B-Q

Buffalo Beer Run!

Post by Beer-B-Q »

I'd like to ask some advice on making a quick jump down to Buffalo for some brews that I can't find locally in the GTA.

- What are the restrictions on the amount of beer I can bring back?
- Where is a good place to stock up?
- Any other advice?

Thanks!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

1. 24 bottles if youre staying for 48 hours or more. Anything amount of time less than that depends ont he border guard you get. You may get waved through with a case or you may get pulled in for a sixpack. I think 5 cases worth is the max you could bring back regardless of time spent.

2. Premier Gourmet, Consumers and Village Beer merchant are the three best.

3. Be honest when bringing back beer. Every time I cross I fess up to everything I bought (be sure to save those receipts) and fully expect to pay the taxes. The times I get waved through (actually batting about 800 on this) I consider a bonus.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

For a same-day beer run, limit yourself to 5-6 cases MAX. Youll have to pay duty on all of them but 12-18$ a case is well worth the quality and curiosity of what you can bring back.

Make sure to be VERY honnest to canadian border staff. The consequences of not doing so are not the risk.

For beer, if your a rookie of such runs, I can recommend the following breweries... individual brands are too long to list and let your taste guide you:

- Victory
- Dogfish Head
- Stoudt
- Stone Brewing
- Sierra Nevada
- Goose Island
- Bear Republic
- Magic Hat
- Flying Dog (especially the Gonzo)
- Hair of the DOg (if they have that)
- Three heads from Rochester is a new player, and their IPA is delicious

Cheers.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

sprague11 wrote:1. 24 bottles if youre staying for 48 hours or more. Anything amount of time less than that depends ont he border guard you get. You may get waved through with a case or you may get pulled in for a sixpack. I think 5 cases worth is the max you could bring back regardless of time spent.
The limit is 5, but if your longer than 48hrs, the duty-free case does not count in this 5 case limit, so it becomes 6. Read that on the LCBO website, in the section on importing from abroad.

Beer-B-Q

Post by Beer-B-Q »

Thanks for the feedback!

What does the average case of brews go for? Similar to Ontario?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Beer-B-Q wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

What does the average case of brews go for? Similar to Ontario?
It all depends what you buy. If you get in to bombers of the higher ABV beers you are looking at $10+ per bomber. Even the 6 pack prices vary significantly depending on the style, the brewery, etc.

What styles are you looking for? Maybe we can provide you with more specific info if you let us know what you like to drink.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Premiere's beer list is here. Says it was updated a few days ago.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The Macro stuff is bargain priced compared to here. For good Craft Beer, expect about 48 bucks or so per 24 bucks, depending on what you like. Bombers I figure average about 10 bucks a bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Here's a thought. It's your first trip, so just go have fun buying 1-3 cases and to hell with the border fees - pay em. It's not worth really caring what the nice border people think about it all. Just be honest, and very polite when they ask all these amazed questions about such unusual beer. Nice folks get breaks.

Far as bottle selection, you have to make SOME hard decisions, because of ALL the sheer options and the possible runaway cost. Still - be good to yourself! Don't skimp too much, having come all the way there. Maybe go do a 'tour' of Premier and Consumers before buying, then buy your best options. Can hit VBM later to fill any gaps.

The Goal: you want to arrive home elated & pleased with a very proud selection of stuff. You should have some special and/or new bottles to pull out of your stash for a while. It's fun.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Honesty is definitely the best policy. The duty and taxes may be ludicrous and just downright stupid, but the beer you'll come home with will be 1000x better than anything available in Ontario.

Everyone else has covered the basics, but I am going to add this: Consumer's Beverage on Elmwood Avenue is about a 5 minute drive from Premier Gourmet and you can get growler fills there. As per their site on tap right now they have:

Tröegs Nugget Nectar Ale
Hofbräu München Dunkel
Ellicottville Chocolate Cherry Bomb
Long Trail Coffee Stout
Magic Hat Vinyl
Otter Creek Black IPA
Flying Dog Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale
Samuel Adams Rustic Saison
Wolavers Oatmeal Stout
Victory Headwaters Pale Ale
Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #33 - Glacier Harvest
Sierra Nevada Harvest Fresh Hop Ale

2L of fresh, draft, craft ale. You can't go wrong.

EDIT: I just checked out the Village Beer Market's site and they have growler filling stations as well. I definitely need to check that place out on my next run.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Like others have said, be honest. I've also noticed that I've had worse luck at the Rainbow Bridge, so maybe avoid that one??

Village Beer Market has been my favourite place to go, I'm a fan of the low lighting and the personnel.

There's more selection at Premiere but age is questionable on some of their stuff, had a few bad bottles. My fault in the end as I didn't check bottling dates that time. In terms of service, its there if you need it, but you may have to look for someone.

Yapper

Post by Yapper »

See above, all good advice.

I just want to add Wegmans to the list for bottle shops (Niagara Falls one has the worst selection). Orchard Park location has a large selection.

Both Consumers and Village Beer Merchant have growler fill stations. Go to VBM's facebook page to see what is currently on tap (20 taps).

I usually cross at the Peace Bridge (buffalo) and have never had to pay duty (declaring up to 3 24's). The last 3 times i have crossed at the rainbow bridge i have had to pay duty, thought it was just me....Queenston is usually the busiest.

Lagunitas in my opinion has some of the best beers for your buck (hop stoopid, and little sumpin' sumpin'). cant beleive it hasnt been mentioned.

...Also add Ithaca (flower power), Smuttynose, Great Lakes (cleveland), Great Divide, and Bear Republic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DragonOfBlood wrote: The duty and taxes may be ludicrous and just downright stupid, but the beer you'll come home with will be 1000x better than anything available in Ontario.
It might be like 20 or 30% of your 'gross' purchase (tax on tax....) and it is definitely done as a deterrent to cross-border alcohol purchases.

So what? Just assume it's part of the cost-per-bottle. You still come home with all this great stuff. Boring uptight little Ontario doesn't want us to have ANY of these great beers, so buy them to spite Ontario. I call it the 'fuck you' tax, and volunteer to pay it every time.
In Beerum Veritas

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Kish84 wrote:Like others have said, be honest. I've also noticed that I've had worse luck at the Rainbow Bridge, so maybe avoid that one??
This might just be antecdotal evidence but if you can bring a baby along on your trip you might have better luck with the border guards. The last 3 times I have gone to the US (although we live in Ottawa and usually go to Ogdensburg/Potsdam) my wife and I have brought our daughter who was born last november. All three times we have been waived through. Two out of the three times they haven't even bothered to ask us about alcohol. They usually seem to be more interested in confirming that the baby is ours, and how much of the stuff we bought was baby supplies.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Kel Varnsen wrote:They usually seem to be more interested in confirming that the baby is ours
This is the most important thing, do not steal a baby in order to save money on duty!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/