Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:I guess one of the Steamwhistle owners is back and cleaning house hehe
Damn, I'm a sucker for that era of BMWs. I wonder if that's just a wrap that comes off easily, I bet they'd let it go for a bargain...
I couldn't quite put my finger on why that Von Bugle stuff tasted so bad, but now I got it. Fuel stabilizer!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

LCBO is screening people with questions before they enter. do you have sniffles? do you have diarrhea? sick to your stomach?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

JaseWescott wrote:LCBO is screening people with questions before they enter. do you have sniffles? do you have diarrhea? sick to your stomach?
Really going to back the lines up now, if you haven't bought already good luck!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JaseWescott wrote:LCBO is screening people with questions before they enter. do you have sniffles? do you have diarrhea? sick to your stomach?
I went to two Burlington LCBO's yesterday, this was not the case. Might be Toronto/Peel only, or perhaps stores that have particularly high traffic?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Ukie wrote:
Did you mean a lineup to get in, or to check out? Haven't seen a line-up to get in since the spring. Yesterday, the lines to check out were minimal for me, although the one store had several in the checkout line when I entered.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Ukie wrote:
Did you mean a lineup to get in, or to check out? Haven't seen a line-up to get in since the spring. Yesterday, the lines to check out were minimal for me, although the one store had several in the checkout line when I entered.
the lineup to get in. The LCBO was in Hamilton.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Let me guess was the LCBO on the Mountain?

If it was I can guess which store!

TBS wasn't asking questions Monday but that probably changed, Walmart was.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Ukie wrote:Let me guess was the LCBO on the Mountain?

Main St. Turn-around. this was on Tuesday.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

JaseWescott wrote:
Ukie wrote:Let me guess was the LCBO on the Mountain?

Main St. Turn-around. this was on Tuesday.
Really, I was going to say Upper James and Fennel. I was there a week or so ago, walked in no line to get in , no line at cash, came out long lineup to get in!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Ukie wrote:
Line to get in. I like the common check out line, I usually pick the wrong line when they had several cashiers open.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

A few recent stories related to alcohol laws here and abroad:

LCBO suspends partnership with SkipTheDishes after province intervenes:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5830663

Ontario makes changes to liquor rules, allows permanent delivery of alcohol with food:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5835621

Conservative MP pitches plan to allow alcohol sales across Canada by mail:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/dan-al ... -1.5832748

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

shintriad wrote:A few recent stories related to alcohol laws here and abroad
The Morana's (Bar Volo) were making a lot of noise in the media and social media about the Skip the Dishes announcement and reversal. Now they're pushing for licensees buy from the LCBO at wholesale prices. Take-out beer from restos is an improvement, but the prices are always high as the establishment has to buy at retail price and then mark that up. Inter-provincial shipping would be amazing!

cboden

Post by cboden »

shintriad wrote:A few recent stories related to alcohol laws here and abroad:
This one is huge if it passes. I won't hold my breath, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cboden wrote:
shintriad wrote:A few recent stories related to alcohol laws here and abroad:
This one is huge if it passes. I won't hold my breath, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Not holding my breath either given the low success rate of private member's bills, but it would be quite something if this became a reality.

The story doesn't explain the mechanism of bypassing provincial restrictions, and I don't understand how a federal law could do that.

Shipping costs from Ontario breweries varies, but quite a few have $10-$15 flat rates. I wonder what a typical shipping cost would be from BC or NS to Ontario.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

beer guys wouldn't ship during these times from BC. Even Trailway (NS) only ships to part of Ontario once a week, and still takes about a week
Reliable Beer Critic