Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quebec to pick up beers

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sala33

Quebec to pick up beers

Post by sala33 »

Hi guys I'm visiting a friend in Ottawa and plan on going to Beau's to do a tour. Does anyone know where the closest place is in Quebec (coming from Beau's) I can go to pick up some quebec beers to bring home? I'm a bit tight for time and wont be able to make it to Montreal.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

When you;re in Ottawa make a run into Gatineau - I know there's a town across the bridge from Hawkesbury (Grenville I think). i;d imagine there should be a depanneur in LaChute which isn't terribly far, but I'd still recomend La Trappe, Omni or Brou Ha Ha in Gatineau.

sala33

Post by sala33 »

Thank you for the suggestions! will check it out. cheers

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

If you're in a hurry, then Broue Haha will likely have 95% of the stock those other places will have. They may be a bit more expensive, but they have way more stock than either of those other stores. I was dissapointed in Omni last time I was there. Maybe just me, but seemed to have way less beer than I remember from a year or so ago (my last time there). I saw nothing on their shelves that I wouldn't see at Broue Haha. Perhaps some folks who frequent these stores more than I do can comment. I go to Broue Haha maybe once every 6 weeks, La Trappe maybe twice a year and Omni about the same.

If you have the time to shop all three, then by all means have fun. La Trappe is at the very least interesting for the non-beer food and stuff they stock.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The smell of La Trappe can be a bit overpowering if you're not expecting it.