Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Kensington Brewing Company

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Kensington Brewing Company

Post by zane9 »

The company posted on Facebook that they have submitted an application to the LCBO to sell Augusta Ale in cans.

Their site is here.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

This is super cool news...

North American Craft

Post by North American Craft »

We will be helping Kensington Brewing Co. with distribution at retail should their application be approved by the Lcbo.
Cheers!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

North American Craft wrote:We will be helping Kensington Brewing Co. with distribution at retail should their application be approved by the Lcbo.
Wonderful news!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Anyone know if Kensington Brewing is still going? Stopped by their downtown location yesterday and all locked up, even though hours posted on door said it should be open. No Instagram posts on their account since November ‘22.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:01 pm Anyone know if Kensington Brewing is still going? Stopped by their downtown location yesterday and all locked up, even though hours posted on door said it should be open. No Instagram posts on their account since November ‘22.
I dropped in there sometime late in the fall. I'm thinking it was close to the holidays. I also see their beers at the LCBO, but I haven't thought to check if it is old stock. Could they have closed the location and are producing elsewhere?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:01 pm I dropped in there sometime late in the fall. I'm thinking it was close to the holidays. I also see their beers at the LCBO, but I haven't thought to check if it is old stock. Could they have closed the location and are producing elsewhere?
They have a Vaughan location (the old Lake Wilcox brewery I believe). It's kind of strange for all their social to end and doors locked, seems fishy. I think I heard a rumour about acquisition/merger last fall, not sure if anything came of that.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I fear it's the real estate monster bearing down. They have a nice space, but it only seats so many. Ultimately, beer making is an industrial process, so it would be more cost effective to do in an industrial zone v.s. a 'cultural zone' like Kensington.

I hope they work it out, I think they make great product and the few people I have interacted with from there seemed to be genuinely good souls. I like how they keep their focus on a small portfolio of beers and do them well. It's so easy to get carried away on too many projects. In an era of too much choice for beer drinkers that face new breweries everywhere, focus is a good strategy.

It might just be the sad story of the so called "gentrifying microbrewery" being gentrified out of their home.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

It was open a month ago, but I haven't checked since.

One redditor in /r/torontocraftbeer mentioned rumours that Mascot had interested in purchasing them, but I can't find any evidence.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yup, I heard that Mascot bought them after I asked around a bit when I noticed them closed.

An interesting history for KBC for those around long enough to remember the Burger Bar days.

Hopefully the Kensington location becomes something again, nice to have a brewery to visit down there.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:14 am Hopefully the Kensington location becomes something again, nice to have a brewery to visit down there.
Well, there is Burdock and Collective Arts not far away.

Speaking of which, I haven't been to the new Burdock yet. Do they, or will they have a patio? It's hard to see where they would have space. I guess we could just go full Toronto and drink in the park out front. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:46 pm Well, there is Burdock and Collective Arts not far away.

Speaking of which, I haven't been to the new Burdock yet. Do they, or will they have a patio? It's hard to see where they would have space. I guess we could just go full Toronto and drink in the park out front. 8)
Very true about CA. I stopped by the Burdock when it opened and it had no taproom or tasting area. Kind of disappointing, but perhaps they'll have a patio.

viewtopic.php?p=164682#p164682

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:14 am Hopefully the Kensington location becomes something again, nice to have a brewery to visit down there.
And it seems it will be so.

Kensington Brewing Company Reopening Toronto Location Next Month

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:23 pm
And it seems it will be so.

Kensington Brewing Company Reopening Toronto Location Next Month
Thanks for the tip! Good that something is going back in the space.