Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

When in Spain...

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Just got back from a nice vacation in beautiful Spain. While I mostly enjoyed the wine, I couldn't help but remark on the beer scene.

Firstly, bars usually only have a pilsner on tap and maybe a de-alcoholized beer in a bottle. You also see the odd Guinness sign in the cities. The brewers are mixed, with San Miguel being quite poor and perhaps Alhambra (from Granada) being the best. Cruzcampo (Joe has this) is okay and the Amstel Aguilar was also pretty good. All are better than Blue or Canadian (or Steam Whistle).

Variety stores only stocked these pilsners but the department store chain El Corte Ingles has quite a good beer selection in it's SuperMercado. Lots of German and Belgians.

Lastly, in Sevilla we found a a little pub called Cervecia Internacional (c/ Gamazo near Plaza Nueva) which had a very extensive list of beers from around the world. I had a Douglas Scotch Ale (awesome) and a Hoegaarden Grand Cru (okay). The wife enjoyed the Carlsberg Elephant beer but it was pretty bad. They also had Maudite, Raftman, Fin du Monde and Blanche de Chambly in 341mL bottles...I didn't see anyone drinking one though.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest.

j@beaus

Post by j@beaus »

Sounds like a great trip, even without great beer.

Maudite is that one of your accounts? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: auburnale on 2003-07-23 01:53 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I hope you know that you can buy Douglas in Toronto from Esprit...and it is awesome!