Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Toweler's at the Toronto Festival of Beer

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Hi Gang,

Is anyone interested in making some plans to meet up at the Beer Festival. (It's only like 2 weeks away! (Whee!!))

I'm planning to take advice I read here and take off from work early on Friday to head down... I think it would cool to meet up with everyone at some point, enjoy some banter, compare tasting notes, belch, etc... - Say over by the Scotch-Irish tent or something?

Last time I checked the official festival site had a PDF map of the new festival layout, but the actual booths weren't labeled yet so I don't know what is where...

Cass - I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming you're not setting up a booth or anything like that...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

No booth for me. The Tor. beer fest charges a lot.

I'm happy to meet up (thinking about going Friday).

However, I am working on the Golden Tap awards show, which will be one night in August. Details to come, but we should all try to meet up for this one.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I'm heading over around 4pm. I'm going to sample for a couple of hours then work for a couple of hours I figure. I'll work there Saturday for either Perry or Michael as well, after a couple hours of bumming around. At least that's the plan.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Please don't make it the week of the eleventh Cass.

Joe
On 2003-07-23 09:17, Cass wrote:
No booth for me. The Tor. beer fest charges a lot.

I'm happy to meet up (thinking about going Friday).

However, I am working on the Golden Tap awards show, which will be one night in August. Details to come, but we should all try to meet up for this one.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Ijust pray that Perry and Michael are close together.

I have the feeling the entire weekend will be a Bar Towel gathering at these booths.

Joe.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'll be at the Esprit booth for a good chunk of Friday. So feel free to hang out there as well. :smile:

Greg

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

By Michael, do you mean me?
Thanks for the offer of help, (I'll take a rain-check!) but unfortunately, I do not plan to be at the Fort York festival. It's very expensive (I'm broke!) and I also simply do not have enough beer to be able to supply a festival without creating a supply problem for my existing accounts. Also, to be quite honest, I do not like the direction that the festival is going. Too many alcopops, heavy on major breweries, unsightly washroom setup, muddy grass, and although the rampant drunkenness is some entertainment, I just don't think it is money and time well spent in my particular situation. Maybe in the future when I am trying to rapidly grow bottled sales.
Michael

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the.brewer on 2003-07-23 23:57 ]</font>

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Major Misconduct strong ale will not be available for the festival. I just haven't had the time to do it. I will however have a "curiosity" there. I save one keg of my first batch of Black Irish Plain Porter that was brewed in 2000. It has been dry hopped and is now ready for sampling. I'll have it at the show. I'm also bringing a cask of Dry Hop Border Bitter that has been dry hopped with Centennial hops. ( this is in honour of Josh's volunteering to help out behind the booth)
Hope to see you all there, as always, please introduce yourselves if we have not yet met!
Cheers!
Perry

scott097

Post by scott097 »

wow... I'm not going to be there 'till sunday. Probably won't be any of that stuff left when I get there. DAMN!! Oh well, see you there, Perry!

scott

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

So what other tasty treats should we expect this year? Beers of the World usually has at least one new thing for me (Is that Esprit?) and there is usually at least one new booth.

I will be there late Friday and all day Sunday and have started to ponder my strategy. Friday I hope to get to a lot of new beers (ie. Perry's dry hopped offerings, and whatever else turns up) and Sunday a combination of rating some of the Ontario micros I have tried but not rated, and some old favourites.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I don't know if anything in our booth will be "new" but at the moment the lineup looks like:
St. Peter's English Ale
Cooper's Sparkling Ale
Duvel
Chimay Premiere
Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
Samuel Smith's Organic Lager
Douglas Scotch Ale
Raison D'Etre
Rochefort 10
Mort Subite Framboise

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

In case you haven't checked recently, the Beer Store updated their website with the full list of exhibitors:

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/festivals/TFOBMapAd.pdf

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The Douglas Scotch and Rochefort 10 are both new to me, so I look forward to trying those!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

anyone know what ITW Belgian is? They are in booth 64 between Black Oak and Unibroue... Hmmm..

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-08-05 15:40, JerCraigs wrote:
anyone know what ITW Belgian is? They are in booth 64 between Black Oak and Unibroue... Hmmm..
I suspect that it's probably the ubiquitous Interbrew Belgian beers - Stella, Hoegaarten, etc. - since I can't find any other listing that would include them.

Interesting to see that Mill Street isn't going to be there.

Even MORE interesting to see that Sleeman isn't going to be there either.